Walton leads Sailors in two tourneys
August 27, 2015
Steamboat Springs — Britt Walton led the Steamboat Springs High School golf team in a pair of tournaments this week — the senior standing out as a bright spot for the team in what coach Andrew Donner said were somewhat lackluster performances.
Walton shot a 69 to card the lowest score of any player on Wednesday in a tournament at Devil's Thumb Golf Course in Delta. He backed that up Thursday with a 71, placing him second among all golfers at Cobble Creek Golf Course in Montrose.
"It's the beginning," Donner said of Walton. "You can see him making better decisions, learning how to play golf, not just hit the ball."
Steamboat also got strong performances from Will Firestone, who shot 81 and 83 Wednesday and Thursday, and Jack Starkey, who shot 80 and 82.
The team placed third both days, slipping Wednesday behind several 4A competitors before posting the best score for a 4A team Thursday.
"As a team, we probably could have played better," Donner said. "We're playing 14 or 15 pretty good holes, then having two or three or four holes that are causing problems and giving us big numbers."
Recommended Stories For You
The team is next in action Monday, but Donner said he'll use that tournament as a chance to give his top varsity guys a break.
It will then be all hands on deck for the Sailors Thursday as they welcome 15 other varsity teams to Steamboat Springs and Haymaker Golf Course for the squad's home tournament.
Trending In: Prep Sports
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Craig police, school district investigating shooting threat made on high school by two students
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town
- Routt County treasurer withholding tax money from Steamboat after tax error discovered
- Former Steamboat teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop