Girls lacrosse team falls in overtime
March 10, 2016
The Steamboat Springs High School girls lacrosse team didn't get a win to open its season, but it did get an encouraging result.
The team opened its season with a trip for three games in New Mexico, and Thursday, it lost the first of those games against Santa Fe Prep, 16-15.
The game went into sudden-death overtime before Santa Fe got the winning goal.
"We had a great game," coach Betsy Frick said. "The girls played their hearts out, left it all on the field, which was awesome to see."
Steamboat got eight goals from freshman Lucy Shimek. Becky Brown added four goals, Sammy Koepfer two and Ellie Crouch one.
“That’s more goals than we scored in any game last year,” Frick said.
Recommended Stories For You
On the other end of the field, Brittney Starks had nine saves in the game, her first serving as goalie. Three of those proved critical, as they came in the overtime period.
Next up for Steamboat is a game Friday against Pueblo West, then Saturday against Rio Rancho.
Trending In: Prep Sports
- Spring runoff 2018 in Steamboat Springs defies the odds
- Arrest made in downtown Steamboat business burglary
- Assault at restaurant: The Record for Saturday, April 21, 2018
- What trails are open around Steamboat Springs this mud season? We checked in with some experts
- Remember when naked foxes roamed Steamboat?