Gold, Ladley move on at U.S. Open
March 3, 2016
Steamboat Springs — Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club pro snowboarders Arielle Gold and Matt Ladley qualified Thursday to compete Saturday in the U.S. Open half-pipe finals in Vail.
Gold finished Thursday's qualification round in the pipe with a best-run score of 80.25, which set her into fifth place. Chloe Kim led the way with a run scored at 94.25. Xuetong Cai was second, Hannah Teter third and Kelly Clark fourth.
Elena Hight was sixth and will also compete in the finals.
On the men's side, Ladley landed his second run to push his way into the 10-rider finals field.
It was close. Ladley's best score was 75.49. That left him a fraction of a point ahead of 10th-place Ayumu Nedefuji, who made the cut, and 11th-place Jake Pates, 74.5, who didn't.
Recommended Stories For You
Shaun White emerged atop the field with a score of 92.12. Raibu Katayama, Ben Ferguson, Judd Henkes, Scotty James, Danny Davis, Taku Hiraoka and Greg Bretz all also qualified for finals.
Saturday's finals will begin at 11:20 a.m. for the women and 2 p.m. for the men.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Craig police, school district investigating shooting threat made on high school by two students
- Students who threatened school shooting in Craig located by police
- Mom And Dad set to take over the Old Town Pub in Steamboat
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town