Tami Havener: Future is in good hands
March 7, 2016
I am writing to commend and say thank you to the 30 fifth-graders at Soda Creek Elementary for their assistance with the Steamboat Springs area Democratic caucus last week.
As the Precinct 3 leader, I thought our young volunteers were tremendously helpful in a multitude of ways. Molly, Erik and Allison made a sketch of our classroom space, so that following the actual caucus time, they could return the classroom furniture back to the original layout.
Once we had a head count of precinct caucus attendees, the students made sure everyone would have a chair. The kids set up the space so we could conduct business. When the voter turnout was greater than anticipated, many of the fifth-graders pitched in to make additional packets and badge credentials.
While the students received a pizza dinner (thank you, Soda Creek Pizza) and an education of how our democratic process works, caucus volunteers were gifted with assistants who exhibited initiative and were enthusiastic, respectful, kind and smart.
I especially enjoyed seeing many students who I knew from preschool performing so responsibly.
Recommended Stories For You
Our future is in good hands.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Arrest made in downtown Steamboat business burglary
- Spring runoff 2018 in Steamboat Springs defies the odds
- Assault at restaurant: The Record for Saturday, April 21, 2018
- Remember when naked foxes roamed Steamboat?
- What trails are open around Steamboat Springs this mud season? We checked in with some experts