Rick Pezzoli: The wrong message
March 14, 2016
I was disappointed by the front page photograph in the March 8 issue of Steamboat Today.
The image is of a cyclist riding the Core Trail with a dog off leash. It looks like fun, but it sends the wrong message.
There are off-leash areas in the city, and the Core Trail is not one of them. Most residents know that it is both dangerous and illegal to have a dog off-leash on the Core Trail, but some residents and visitors may be misled by this photo.
Visiting families enjoying the scenery, toddlers, narrow lanes and blind corners require extra safety and awareness on this busy biking and pedestrian amenity without the additional variable of off-leash pets.
I would hope that Steamboat Today would exercise more discretion as to the choices of message presented in future issues of the paper.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- New development plans submitted for 655 Yampa St.
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Routt County real estate transactions: April 13 to 19, 2018