Ken Collins: Now is time for peace
August 18, 2015
On Jan. 4, 1961, three U.S. Marines, James Tracey, Mike East and Larry Morris, walked out of the U.S. Embassy to the flagpole and lowered the flag. They folded it and walked away from the grounds.
Watching them were hundreds of people hoping to get visas enabling them to go to America. It wasn't going to happen.
On Friday, Aug. 14, more than 54 years later, those same Marines, with Secretary of State John Kerry in attendance, returned together to raise Old Glory up another flagpole at another U.S. Embassy, a new one. It was the same city, Havana, Cuba.
We now have begun talking again to our nearest non-abutting neighbor nation.
It is about time. It is about diplomacy. It is about peace.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- New development plans submitted for 655 Yampa St.
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Routt County real estate transactions: April 13 to 19, 2018