Steamboat summer bucket list: Best things to do and places to see
June 3, 2018
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — There's a famous expression in Steamboat Springs — "You come for the winters but stay for the summers" — and a town known for its Champagne Powder has expanded its appeal and is drawing more and more tourists to the Yampa Valley during the sunny summer months.
Visitors are traveling from the Front Range and all over the country to attend a growing list of festivals and attractions in Steamboat, which begin in June and extend through September. There's a huge multi-day Fourth of July celebration that takes over downtown and ends with a spectacular fireworks show plus a Balloon Rodeo, Mustang Roundup and Art in the Park, to name just a few of Steamboat's most popular events.
To help our readers make plans for the summer, the Steamboat Pilot & Today has compiled a calendar listing of some of Steamboat's biggest events, which can be found on pages 16 and 17 of Sunday's newspaper.
In addition to the festivals, there are a number of regular summer events and venues that offer activities for all ages, and these are listed below along with helpful tips for navigating town on busy weekends.
3 – Yampa River Festival; Charlie's Hole, Fish Creek Falls
3 – 37th annual Steamboat marathon, half marathon and 10k
6 – Town Challenge Mountain Bike Race Series starts
10-16 – The Colorado New Play Festival, Chief Theater
11-13 – Ride the Rockies cycling event
14-16 – 30th Annual Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup
16 – Steamboat Springs Running Series Howelsen Hill Trail Run
16 – Moots Colorado Ranch Rally
23 – Reds, Whites & Brews Festival
24 – Tri the Boat, Stagecoach State Park
30 – Free Summer Concert Series: Galactic
30 to July 4 – 115th Annual Cowboys Roundup Days
1 – Steambaot Springs Running Series Mountain Madness
1-4 – Fourth of July Ski Jumping Extravaganza: Jump Training
4 – July 4th Parade
4 – Fourth of July Fireworks
6 – Captain of the Boat
7 – Steamboat Springs Running Series Hahn’s Peak Hill Climb
7 – Fireworks Show; Steamboat Lake State Park
7 – Free Summer Concert Series: Keller Williams Petty Grass featuring the Hillbenders
7-8 – Cowpie Classic rugby tournament
12 – Steamboat Lake Sprint Triathlon
14-15 – 44th Annual Art in the Park
14-15 – 37th annual Hot Air Balloon Rodeo
21 – Eriksen Cycles Tour de Steamboat
21 – Free Summer Concert Series: JJ Grey & Mofro
28 – Steamboat Springs Running Series Spring Creek Trail Run
4 – Free Summer Concert Series: Stephen Marley
9-12 – 4th annual Steamboat Movement Festival
10-12 – Steamboat All Arts Festival with Sunday block party
11-12 – Steamboat Stinger
12 – Steamboat Triathlon At Lake Catamount (Sprint, Olympic, & Aqua Bike)
16-19 – Routt County Fair; Fairground
18-19 – Revolution Enduro Mountain Bike Series
23-26 – Vettes on the Rockies
25 – Steamboat Springs Running Series Continental Divide Run
30-3 – Yampa Valley Crane Festival
1 – 14th Annual Wild West Air Fest
1-3 – Yampa Valley Crane Festival
1 – 10th annual Moots Steamboat Stage Race
1-3 – Steamboat Springs Stage Race presented by Moots Cycles
2 – Steamboat Springs Running Series 10K at 10,000 feet
2 – Free Summer Concert Series: End of Summer Jam featuring The Motet, Kyle Hollingsworth Band, Eric Tessmer
6-9 – Steamboat Bike Week and Bike Festival
8 – Main Street Steamboat Springs Chili Challenge
8 – STARS Biking the Boat Charity Ride
9 – Colorado League Race
14-15 – Run Rabbit Run
14-15 – 10th annual Steamboat OktoberWest
17 – Lost Art Revival
22-29 – Plein Air Festival
22 – Steamboat Sprigs Running Series Emerald Mountain Trail Run
28- Oct. 7 – Steamboat Restaurant Week
29 – Quick and Chainless Race
Town Challenge Mountain Bike Races
June 6, 20; July 11, 25; Aug. 15, 29; Sept. 12; townchallenge.com
Steamboat Springs Pro Rodeo Series
Fridays and Saturdays, June 15 to Aug. 18, 7:30 p.m.; Brent Romick Rodeo Arena; steamboatprorodeo.com
Main Street Farmers Market
Saturdays, Sixth and Yampa streets, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 9 to Sept. 8; mainstreetsteamboat.com/farmers-market
First Friday Artwalk
First Friday of every month, downtown galleries; 5 to 8 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Sunset Happy Hour
Thursdays and Sundays, July 5 to Aug. 9, 5 to 9 p.m., top of the Gondola; steamboat.com/things-to-do/activities/sunset-happy-hour
Movies on the Mountain
Saturdays, June 16 to Aug. 11, Gondola Square, 8:30 p.m.; steamboat.com/things-to-do/activities/movies-on-the-mountain
- Mondays: Naturalist Walk, June 25 to Aug. 27, 9:30 to 11 a.m.
- Wednesdays: Mineral Springs Tours, June 27 to Aug. 29, 9 to 11 a.m., meet at the Depot Art Center
- Wednesdays: Guided gourmet lunch hike with a Steamboat Ski Resort ambassador and Yampatika naturalist, June 20 to Aug. 29, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays: Yampatika naturalist on site at Fish Creek Falls, June 28 to Sept. 1, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Tread of Pioneers Museum weekly programs
- Wednesdays: Olympic heritage walking tour, June 27 to Aug. 29, 9 to 10:30 a.m. Olympian Hall, 845 Howelsen Parkway
- Thursdays: Downtown historical walking tour, June 28 to Aug. 30, 9 to 11 a.m., Tread of Pioneers Museum, 800 Oak St.
Fridays: Brown Bag Summer Storytelling Series, June 29 to Aug. 31, noon, Tread of Pioneers Museum, 800 Oak St.
Popular Steamboat venues offering programs, live music events and special events
- Chief Theater, 813 Lincoln Ave., 970-871-4791
- Strings Music Festival, 900 Strings Road, 970-879-5056
- Yampa River Botanic Park, 1000 Pamela Lane, 970-846-5172
- Bud Werner Memorial Library, 1289 Lincoln Ave., 970-879-0240
- Tread of Pioneers Museum, 800 Oak St., 970-879-2214
Tips for navigating summer traffic downtown
- Bike if at all possible. There will be a lot of traffic and the best way to get around and find parking would be to bike.
- Park somewhere near a free bus stop. The free bus runs all weekend and is a great way to get around town.
- Use the Yampa Valley Core Trail, a walking/biking path that runs from the mountain to the west side of Steamboat.
If you don’t see events in this list, add those to the Happenings list by visiting steamboattoday.com.