Red Hawk homes in Stagecoach evacuated after gas leak | SteamboatToday.com

Red Hawk homes in Stagecoach evacuated after gas leak

Zach Fridell

A gas leak Wednesday resulted in the evacuation of the Red Hawk subdivision in Stagecoach. Residents of the subdivision, which is shown here earlier this summer, were allowed to return to their homes later in the afternoon.

— All 28 homes in the Red Hawk Village subdivision in Stagecoach were evacuated Wednesday after someone reportedly backed over a buried propane tank, sending hundreds of gallons of the gas spilling out at about 1:30 p.m. By about 3:30 p.m., residents were told they could re-enter their homes for the night.

Oak Creek Fire Protection District Chief Chuck Wisecup said a man unloading landscaping materials backed a truck over the 1,000-gallon tank. A couple hundred gallons escaped before AmeriGas workers plugged the hole.

Workers shut off gas to each home and cut electricity to about half of the homes while checking the area for pockets of gas, Wisecup said. He said AmeriGas workers would help homeowners relight pilot lights Wednesday evening.

Emergency responders temporarily considered the possibility that homeowners may not have been able to return to their homes at all Wednesday.

Red Hawk Village resident Megan Morgan said she was home at the time of the accident and heard a loud noise. A neighbor later told her about the incident at a home down the street. Emergency workers then came to her door and asked her to evacuate.

Morgan’s 6-year-old daughter was home sick for the day, and the two stood outside their house for about 15 minutes before an ambulance stopped nearby and emergency medical technicians invited them to sit inside.

Recommended Stories For You

After another 20 minutes, emergency responders told Morgan she and her daughter would need to leave the neighborhood, and the pair spent a half-hour at a friend’s house before being told they could return to Red Hawk Village.

Morgan said she wasn’t sure when her home would have heat again Wednesday night.

“It affects us because we have electricity, but our heat is done by gas,” she said.