Obituary: Mita Maria Racewicz
November 16, 2017
September 15, 1924 – November 9, 2017
Mita Maria Racewicz, 93 feel asleep in death on November 9, 2017 at her home in Montana City with her family by her side.
Mita was the only child of Hermann and Magdelene Heitmann, born on September 15, 1924 in Hamburg, Germany. After receiving her nursing degree she worked for the American Red Cross in Hamburg, then went on to work as a secretary on an American military base in Bad Kissinggen. It was there that she met William "Bill" Racewicz, a sergeant in the U.S. Army Air Corps. They were married on August 7, 1948 in the historic "Little Church Around the Corner" in New York City. They settled in Flushing, NY where they had two children, Karen in 1954 and Steven in 1957.
Eventually they moved to White Plains, NY where Mita obtained work as an emergency room nurse for 17 years. In 2004 their dream of living in the mountains finally came true when they moved to Montana City. They were frequent visitors to Steamboat: Bill would ski with his children and Mita would admire the beautiful scenery from the gondola. They were married for 63 years until Bill's death in 2011. Soul mates together again! We miss you both!
Trending In: Obituaries
- College student recovers after getting bitten by rattlesnake near Steamboat
- Man who unintentionally fired bullet during Steamboat baseball game is a Wyoming police officer
- Anger, disappointment and shock after mural vandalized in downtown Steamboat Springs
- Yampa River flows on the rise due to reservoir releases above Steamboat
- Steamboat City Council seeks to place 5 percent tax on marijuana before voters