October 7, 2016
On Thursday September 22 Sonny (John) Schroer died from an overdose of drugs and alcohol. Born August 21, 1985 in Albuquerque, NM to Jack and Connie Schroer. Connie was a flight attendant and Jack was a saxophonist (including with Van Morrisson on Moondance). Both Sonny's parents also struggled with addiction. After the death of his parents and Grandmother in 1995, Sonny moved from Milwaukee, WI to Lake Hopatcong, NJ to live with his Uncle, Ken Schroer. At age 21, Sonny moved to Steamboat Springs, CO and was able to find his passion teaching snowboarding. Sonny also enjoyed downhill mountain biking. Sonny's Parents, Grandparents, Uncle Ken Schroer and several of friends including Sonny's best friend, Chris Meinsohn preceded him in death. Sonny is survived by many friends and relatives including his Uncle Ken and Aunt Susan Hirth, Cousin, Kris and Julie Hagenbuch, and Sister, Paris Albritton.
To honor him there will be a ceremony at Fish Creek Falls Bridge in Steamboat on October 14, 2016 at 5:15, followed by a reception at Olympian Hall at 6:15. Sonny's Shred Day will be held this season at Steamboat Ski Area. More information will be available closer to the event. Donations can be made in Sonny Schroer's honor to Snowboard Outreach Society that teaches snowboarding/sports and life skills to at risk youth. http://sosoutreach.org links to where you can make your donation.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Craig police, school district investigating shooting threat made on high school by two students
- Routt County treasurer withholding tax money from Steamboat after tax error discovered
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town
- Students who threatened school shooting in Craig located by police