April 30, 2016
Maria Callas, 92, of Oak Creek, CO fell asleep in the Lord on April 25, 2016. Maria was born on May 16, 1923 in Hanna, WY to Kosta Giatrakis and Theano Mastorakis. She is preceded in death by her parents, brothers Xristos Giatrakis, Andoni Giatrakis, Paul Giatrakis and sister Katina Ladakis. She is survived by her husband Spiro Callas, son Steve (Joanne), grandchildren Maria and Andrew; son Kosta (Julie), and granddaughter Andonia and many nieces, nephews and friends. She was the baby in the family. Her father worked in the coal mines and was killed in a mine accident when Maria was seven. The family moved back to Greece after that tragedy. She returned after the war and resided in Modesto, CA and Salt Lake City, UT with her sister Katina. In 1963, she married Spiro Callas and moved to Oak Creek. They enjoyed 53 years of marriage together working as a great team in raising their boys and running Oak Creek Liquor and Spiro's Tradin' Post. Maria enjoyed cooking, sewing and gardening – especially tending to her favorite flowers. She was a loving and caring person with a gentle spirit. Trisagion – Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 7:00pm – Grant Mortuary – 621 Yampa Ave, Craig, CO. Funeral Services – Monday, May 2, 2016 at 11:00am – St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church – 691 Green St. P.O Box 848 Craig, CO. Interment will be at Oak Creek Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Anger, disappointment and shock after mural vandalized in downtown Steamboat Springs
- New Silver Creek Fire burning in Routt National Forest
- College student recovers after getting bitten by rattlesnake near Steamboat
- Pot shop sues city of Steamboat after relocation application denied
- After state environmental violations, Routt County considers amending Milner landfill permit