Health briefs: The Haven accepting new residents
August 9, 2015
Steamboat Springs — The Haven is accepting new residents
The Haven Assisted Living Center in Hayden is accepting new residents. The 20-bed nonprofit assisted living facility is owned and operated by the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association. Private and semi-private rooms are available. Services include meals, housekeeping, exercise classes and social activities. Additional amenities and care options are available. Medicaid is accepted. The Haven also offers respite care for adults who need temporary assisted living care. For more information, call 970-875-1888 or visit havenseniorliving.com.
VNA hold back to school immunization clinics
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will hold an immunization clinic for K-12 students 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, August 21 at Steamboat Springs Middle School. Additional clinics will be held 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday, August 24 at Steamboat Springs Middle School. All recommended and required vaccinations (including varicella) will be available. Please bring vaccine record and insurance card.
The cost of each immunization for uninsured individuals is $25.50, however, no one will be refused a recommended vaccine due to inability to pay. Routine immunizations for all ages also are available during drop-in immunization clinics, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Steamboat VNA, 940 Central Park Drive, Suite 101 or by appointment. Call 970-879-1632.
Residents may qualify for health insurance coverage
Recommended Stories For You
If you have had any of the following life change events in the last month, you may qualify for health insurance (reduced-cost plans) through Connect for Health Colorado outside the open enrollment period:
· Marriage, birth, adoption and placement for foster care.
· Your insurance plan or Medicaid coverage was canceled or ended.
· You changed jobs and lost employer-sponsored insurance.
· You gained citizenship or immigration status.
· You experienced a change in incarceration status.
· You moved to Colorado.
You can apply for health insurance through Colorado Medicaid or Child Health Plan Plus year round. For more information or to meet with a health coverage guide, call 970-879-1632.
Support groups meeting this week:
• A bereavement support group will meet from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7628 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A Parkinson’s support group will meet at 4 p.m. Monday at the United Methodist Church of Steamboat Springs, 736 Oak St. For more information, call 970-875-1088.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• The Steamboat Meditation Recovery Group will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Buddhist Center of Steamboat Springs, 2250 Copper Frontage Road, No. 202. The group also has a recovery-based yoga beforehand at 4:30 p.m. The group will explore recovery through meditation, book study and all open discussion. Meetings are open to all faiths and addictions. For more information, call 720-670-8642.
• A cancer support group will meet from noon to 1 p.m. Friday at Yampa Valley Medical Center’s Integrated Health, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for those with cancer to learn techniques to manage stress and create a holiday plan. For more information, call Sara Ross at 970-875-2731.
Weight-loss kiosk at the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association
Weigh and Win, a free community weight loss program, has installed a kiosk in the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association lobby.The program, aimed at reducing obesity rates in Colorado, provides cash incentives to participants who reach their weight-loss goals. Participants weigh in quarterly (every 90 days) at the kiosk. Between weigh-ins, they receive daily emails or texts with tips on healthy eating, exercise and overcoming weight-loss barriers.
Participation is free. The kiosk is available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays at the Steamboat Springs VNA, 940 Central Park Drive, Suite 101.