Health briefs: Hospice volunteer training planned
November 9, 2015
Steamboat Springs — VNA will hold hospice training
Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will host a Hospice Certification Training for individuals interested in volunteering their time to support hospice patients and families. The training will be from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 19 and 20 at Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Drive. A light breakfast and lunch will be served. The two-day training and a one-year commitment are required to be a hospice volunteer. A variety of volunteer opportunities are available, including helping hospice patients and families with errands, meal preparation and light household tasks or simply sharing hobbies and interests. Registration for the training is required. For more information or to sign up, call VNA volunteer coordinator Mindy Marriott at 970-871-7609.
VNA Drop in Flu Clinic – Routt County Justice Center
A drop-in flu clinic takes place from 9 a.m. to noon Thursday at the Routt County Justice Center, 1955 Shield Drive. All Ages. Spanish translation available. Bring Medicaid, Medicare or other insurance card.
Low-cost immunizations available for uninsured individuals. Cash or checks accepted. 970-871-7624.
Help is available for insurance enrollment
Recommended Stories For You
Individuals who need health insurance or need to renew their plans must do so by Jan. 31. Be aware of the following important information.
· There are new plans and prices every year. Financial help is available to lower monthly costs.
· Free in-person assistance is available to help you find the right plan.
· If you're already enrolled, you need to renew your plan to retain coverage. Be sure to review your options.
· There are tax fines for not having health insurance.
· You must enroll or renew your plan by the following dates.
- Dec. 15 for coverage beginning Jan. 1.
- Jan. 15 for coverage beginning Feb. 1.
- Jan. 31 for coverage beginning March 1.
For assistance in enrolling in health insurance, call a Health Coverage Guide at the Northwest Colorado VNA at 970-871-7330 or Yampa Valley Medical Center at 970-879-1322. Drop-in open enrollment assistance also is available 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays through Jan. 26 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive.
Support groups meeting this week:
• A bereavement support group meets at 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Dr. Call 970-871-7629 before your first meeting.
• A Parkinson’s support group meets at 4 p.m. Monday at the United Methodist Church of Steamboat Springs, 736 Oak St. For more information, call 970-875-1088.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• The Steamboat Meditation Recovery Group meets Thursdays at 5:30 p.m. at the Buddhist Center of Steamboat Springs, 2250 Copper Frontage Road, No. 202. The group also has a recovery-based yoga beforehand at 4:30 p.m. The group will explore recovery through meditation, book study and all open discussion. Meetings are open to all faiths and addictions. For more information, call 720-670-8642.
• A cancer support group meets from noon to 1 p.m. Friday at Yampa Valley Medical Center’s Integrated Health, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for those with cancer to learn techniques to manage stress and create a holiday plan. For more information, call Sara Ross at 970-875-2731.