Health briefs: Holiday grief support event planned
November 16, 2015
Steamboat Springs — VNA will host holiday grief support event
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will host “Getting through the Holidays,” a grief education and support event, from 5 to 6:30 pm, Nov. 17 at the Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Drive. Light refreshments will be served. The evening will include information, tips and support on coping with the loss of a loved one during the holiday season. For more information, call 970-871-7629.
Hospice training this week
Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will host a Hospice Certification Training for individuals interested in volunteering to support hospice patients and families. The training will be from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 19 and 20 at Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Drive. A light breakfast and lunch will be served. The two-day training and a one-year commitment are required to be a hospice volunteer. A variety of volunteer opportunities are available, including helping hospice patients and families with errands, meal preparation and light household tasks or simply sharing hobbies and interests. Registration for the training is required. For more information or to sign up, call VNA volunteer coordinator Mindy Marriott at 970-871-7609.
Help available for insurance enrollment
Individuals who need health insurance or need to renew their plans must do so by Jan. 31, 2016. Please be aware of the following important information:
Recommended Stories For You
• There are new plans and prices every year. Financial help is available to lower monthly costs.
• Free in-person assistance is available to help find the right plan.
• Those already enrolled need to renew their plan to retain coverage and are encouraged to review their options.
• There are tax fines for not having health insurance.
• Deadlines for enrolling and renewing your plan:
- December 15, 2015 for coverage beginning January 1, 2016
- January 15, 2016 for coverage beginning February 1, 2016
- January 31, 2016 for coverage beginning March 1, 2016
For assistance in enrolling in health insurance, contact a health coverage guide at the Northwest Colorado VNA at 970-871-7330 or Yampa Valley Medical Center at 970-879-1322. Drop-in open enrollment assistance also is available from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays through Jan. 26, 2016, at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive.
Support groups meeting this week:
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7629 prior to attending the first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• A Heartbeat Suicide Survivor support group meeting is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Yampa Valley Medical Center's Integrated Health campus, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for survivors to learn skills to help manage grief. Enroll by calling 970-846-8182.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group meets from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Conference Room 2 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group provides support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome. Call 970-819-2232 for more information.
• A Parkinson’s care partners meeting for those who care for people with Parkinson’s disease is from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday. For the meeting location, call 970-879-0518 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Heartbeat of Steamboat support group meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Drive. The group is for those who have lost a loved one or friend.
• The Steamboat Meditation Recovery Group meets at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Buddhist Center of Steamboat Springs, 2250 Copper Frontage Road, No. 202. The group also has a recovery-based yoga beforehand at 4:30 p.m. The group will explore recovery through meditation, book study and all open discussion. Meetings are open to all faiths and addictions. For more information, call 720-670-8642.
• A cancer support group to help cancer patients deal with pain, nausea, fatigue and side effects is from noon to 1 p.m. Fridays at Integrated Health, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave., Suite A. For more information, call 970-846-4717.