Health briefs: Free cardiovascular screenings at Taco Cabo
May 15, 2016
Steamboat Springs — Free cardiovascular screenings at Taco Cabo
In recognition of Stroke Awareness Month, the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will provide free cardiovascular screenings from 8 to 11 a.m. May 20 at Taco Cabo. People who undergo a screening will receive a free taco. Screenings, which include blood pressure check, cholesterol test, blood glucose and BMI, can help a person gauge his or her risk of heart attack, stroke or diabetes. For more information, call 970-871-7634.
Casey’s Pond hosts community happy hour
Casey’s Pond Distinctive Senior Living hosts a happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. on the last Thursday of each month at the community, 2855 Owl Hoot Trail. Food, wine and beer are available, along with the opportunity to see old friends or meet new ones. Attendees can learn more about life at Casey’s Pond and receive a tour of the community. An upcoming happy hour event is scheduled for May 26. RSVP for the event at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-879-8855.
Natural Grocers hosts talk on turmeric spice
Natural Grocers nutritional health coach Alicia McLeod will host “Turmeric, the Spice of Life,” at 5 p.m. May 19 at the store, located at 355 Lincoln Ave. The yellow spice of turmeric has been consumed for its health benefits for thousands of years. Combining turmeric with certain other spices or healthy fats can help your body absorb curcumin, the active component of turmeric. Learn how to use turmeric in more than just curry.
Recommended Stories For You
Gluten-free tasting expo, seminar planned
Natural Grocers will sponsor a gluten-free tasking expo and health fair beginning at 3 p.m. June 17 at the store, 335 Lincoln Ave. Win door prizes and sample gluten-free products, including food, vitamins, body care products and more, from 3 to 5 p.m. At 5 p.m., a seminar on gluten-free living will begin. Learn shopping tips and meal planning for successful gluten-free living. Learn basics, cooking tips and hear advice on dietary supplements for nutritional support.
Variety of support groups meeting this week
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7629 prior to attending.
• A domestic violence support group for women meets from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane, at 970-879-2034, before attending.
• A Heartbeat Suicide Survivor support group meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at Yampa Valley Medical Center's Integrated Health campus, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for survivors to learn skills to help manage grief. Enroll by calling 970-846-8182.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group meets from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Conference Room 2 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group provides support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome. Call 970-819-2232 for more information.
• A Parkinson’s care partners meeting for those who care for people with Parkinson’s disease is from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday. For the meeting location, contact 970-879-0518 or email@example.com.
• The Heartbeat of Steamboat support group meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Drive. The group is for those who have lost a loved one or friend.
• The Steamboat Meditation Recovery Group meets at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Buddhist Center of Steamboat Springs, 2250 Copper Frontage Road, No. 202. The group also hosts a recovery-based yoga at 4:30 p.m. The group will explore recovery through meditation, book study and open discussion. Meetings are open to all faiths and addictions. For more information, call 720-670-8642.