Eagle requires carbon monoxide detectors | SteamboatToday.com

Eagle requires carbon monoxide detectors

Pam Boyd/Eagle Valley Enterprise

— The words ‘additional government regulation’ raise hackles for many citizens but if anyone needs a testimonial regarding the town of Eagle, Colorado’s new carbon monoxide detector rules, just give Ron Beard a call.

A number of years ago, the Beard family was irritated when a detector in their home kept sounding. They didn’t smell anything and their home was relatively new, so the Beards just thought they had a faulty carbon monoxide detector. But to be on the safe side, they decided to have their home checked out.

“The police department told us if we had fallen asleep, especially the kids wouldn’t have woken up,” says Beard. “We were really thankful that we had the detectors and we listened to them.”

Today, the Beards have multiple carbon monoxide detectors in their home and because of the town’s newly adopted building code, so will all new homeowners in Eagle.

Last month, the Eagle Town Board adopted the 2006 international building code. The new rules will take effect April 18 and one of the biggest changes is the carbon monoxide detector requirement. Eagle now will require that all new homes, additions or remodels include the detectors outside bedrooms and on each level of the house.

“It’s really a basic health and safety issue,” Eagle building inspector Bob Kohrmann said, “and you can get carbon monoxide detectors that cost anywhere from $20 to $75.”

Recommended Stories For You

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, Kohrmann says.

“You don’t even know you are in it,” he says.

After prolonged exposure, victims begin to feel flu-like symptoms and become tired. Tragically, victims often fall asleep, and their exposure then reaches lethal levels. That’s what happened in December to the Lofgren family during a visit to Aspen.

The Lofgrens – Parker and Caroline and their children Owen and Sophie – were found in their beds, and investigators theorized the family just went to sleep and never woke up. The source of the carbon monoxide turnout out to be a broken pipe in a crawl space under the multimillion-dollar home where the Lofgrens were staying. There were no detectors in the home.