Steamboat Pilot & Today sports editor to speak about Olympics on Wednesday
April 2, 2018
Steamboat Today will host its next Coffee and a Newspaper from 7:30 to 9 a.m. Wednesday, April 4 at the newspaper office, 1901 Curve Plaza. Sports Editor Joel Reichenberger will talking about his experience covering the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea. He will share some of his favorite photos and stories from the Games.
The event is free and open to the community. Free coffee and pastries will be served.
1st area crane sighting winners announced
The 2018 Yampa Valley First Crane Sighting Contest is over, and the grand prize winner is Iva Decker and her grandson Charlie Williams, of Craig, who photographed a crane near Thompson Hill at 4:30 p.m. March 3. A record 57 crane sightings were reported during the month of March throughout the Yampa Valley.
In addition to Decker and Williams, the Colorado Crane Conservation Coalition has named six other area winners with the dates, times and locations of their crane sightings.
- West Moffat winner: Peter and Tamara Miles, 5:55 p.m. March 5 near Sunbeam;
- Craig winner: Terry Sexton, 9:20 a.m. March 9 near Loudy-Simpson Park in Craig;
- West Routt winner: Shawn Wiser, 11:27 a.m. March 11 on Routt County Road 86 along
- South Routt winner: Michele Baxter, 6:30 p.m. March 11 near Stagecoach Reservoir;
- North Routt winner: Anna Blakeslee, 8 a.m. March 14 on Fetcher Ranch; and
- Steamboat winner: Bonnie Goertz, 8:45 a.m. March 20 on Routt County Road 42.
Complete contest results along with photos and videos can be viewed at coloradocranes.org.
Steamboat student named to honor roll
Kelly Rae Griffith of Steamboat Springs was among 1,607 students named to the Deans Honor Roll at Fort Hays State University, in Hays, Kansas, for the fall 2017 semester.
Recommended Stories For You
To be eligible, students must have completed 12 or more credit hours and earned a minimum grade point average of 3.60 for the semester. Griffith is a junior majoring in athletic training.
Trending In: Briefs
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- New development plans submitted for 655 Yampa St.
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Routt County real estate transactions: April 13 to 19, 2018