Yampa River Botanic Park to open Wednesday
April 29, 2013
Steamboat Springs — The Yampa River Botanic Park will open its gates for the season Wednesday. Despite a snowstorm forecast for that dat, the park is sticking to its usual opening date of May 1, and the early blooms will be in full effect.
Park supervisor Gayle Lehman said she's looking forward to getting her hands dirty with planting of flowers that will continue through the summer as the park reaches its full bloom.
But right now, crocuses, hyacinths and even trilliums can be seen poking through the spring soil in the park, which is located at the end of Pamela Lane east of downtown Steamboat.
The botanic park is open from dawn to dusk every day through Oct. 31. It's the site of many festivals and events, including Piknik Theatre, Strings Music Festival's Music on the Green, weddings and other special events. The park includes about 60 gardens dotted with rocks, water features and sculptures. Admission is always free, and donations are welcome.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Man who unintentionally fired bullet during Steamboat baseball game is a Wyoming police officer
- City to consider vacating easements near RiverView development on Yampa River
- Steamboat dog makes miraculous recovery
- Man self-splints broken arm after being thrown from horse in Zirkels
- Ohana’s growth means change for coffee lovers