Suspect in dog shooting arrested
April 30, 2009
Steamboat Springs — A man accused of shooting his neighbor’s dog was arrested Wednesday night on suspicion of prohibited use of a weapon and cruelty to an animal.
Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Tom Cannon, 68, at his home in the 28000 block of Valley View Lane off County Road 14 on the way up Yellow Jacket Pass. He was taken to Routt County Jail.
Neighbors reported that Cannon had been outside his home, wearing only his underwear, when he shot the golden retriever with a rifle. The dog owner’s son may have been walking the dog at the time, according to information relayed to deputies.
Sgt. Kurtis Luster said the dog was taken to a veterinary clinic in unknown condition. However, Luster said it sounded as if the dog would survive.
Luster said the dog owner’s son was never in the line of shooting.
Cannon was clothed when deputies arrived, Luster said, and alcohol is thought to have played a role in the incident. Deputies did not yet know what the suspect’s motive may have been.
Recommended Stories For You
“For someone to (legally) shoot a dog or something like that, they have to be able to articulate that the dog is an immediate danger to them, or chasing livestock,” Luster said.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Former Steamboat teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop
- Storm creates white-out conditions on Rabbit Ears Pass
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town
- Routt County treasurer withholding tax money from Steamboat after tax error discovered