Sue Lewis: Favoring furloughs
April 29, 2009
I was appalled, but not surprised, at Rob Douglas’ April 24 column “Practicing gutter politics.” The column is trademark Rob Douglas.
Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall singlehandedly has brought this issue to the gutter. Gary Wall’s budget went from $1.5 million in 2004 to $4.6 million. Is it possible that Sheriff Wall needs to figure out how to balance a budget?
The majority of Routt County employees are in favor of the furlough. We want to help with the solution and do our part to prevent as many layoffs as possible. Why is it that Wall chooses to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution?
The commissioners work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, they attend night meetings, weekend meetings, they answer questions at the grocery store they receive phone calls at home to discuss county business. A person who takes on a responsibility of this magnitude and gets paid less than their department leaders/elected officials must care a great deal for Routt County and the people who work for them.
The nation is in an economic crisis, and Routt County is feeling this, as well. We all need to do our part for the greater good.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- New development plans submitted for 655 Yampa St.
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Students who threatened school shooting in Craig located by police