Steamboat nips Eagle Valley with Lopez goal, wins big game
October 3, 2009
Before everyone jumps to the conclusion that Round 2 of Battle Mountain-Eagle Valley soccer Oct. 22 in Edwards will decide the 4A Slope championship, please don’t forget about Steamboat Springs.
The Sailors put themselves right back in the middle of the title chase with a 1-0 victory against Eagle Valley on Friday night at Hot Stuff Stadium in Gypsum.
Enrique Lopez’s goal in the 59th minute stood against the Devils, not only vaulting visiting Steamboat into the mix of the Western Slope League race, but also washing out the taste of an alarming 2-1 loss to Summit County on Wednesday.
“More importantly, we feel really good that we knew we could do a lot better than we did Wednesday,” Sailors coach Rob Bohlmann said. “We responded pretty well. It’s easy to lose all focus. We took a little tumble, and we responded well.”
Sailors goalie Connor Birch expressed his excitment.
“Words can’t describe how sweet that was,” the senior keeper said.
Recommended Stories For You
Battle Mountain (5-0-2 in league) tops the table at 17 points, followed by Eagle Valley (5-1-1) at 16. Steamboat (4-0-3) jumped up to 15 points with the win.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- College student recovers after getting bitten by rattlesnake near Steamboat
- Man who unintentionally fired bullet during Steamboat baseball game is a Wyoming police officer
- City to consider vacating easements near RiverView development on Yampa River
- Steamboat dog makes miraculous recovery
- Ohana’s growth means change for coffee lovers