Sailors No. 4 doubles tennis team advances
All other players lost in the first or second rounds but could have a chance to play again
October 15, 2009
Pueblo — Steamboat Springs High School’s No. 4 doubles tennis team came out with two wins at the Class 4A state tournament today and will advance to the semifinals Friday.
Kyle Rogers and Gabri Erspamer beat Evan Baldwin and Ryne Carlson of Greeley West 6-3, 6-7, 6-2 in the first round and bested Jono Bentley and Ian Peterson of Colorado Academy 6-4, 6-2 in the quarterfinals to move on. The other Sailors athletes didn’t fare as well in Pueblo.
Jamey Swiggart at No. 1 singles and Mirko Erspamer at No. 3 singles lost in the first round.
The other players advanced to the quarterfinals: Keegan Burger at No. 2 singles, Jeff Lambart and Jack Burger at No. 1 doubles, Max Roder and Vladan Chase at No. 2 doubles, Luke Farny and Callum Richman at No. 3 doubles, and Kyle Rogers and Gabri Erspamer at No. 4 doubles.
Burger and the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams lost in the quarterfinals.
Those players might have the opportunity to play again at state. If the athletes who defeated them advance, they could get an opportunity to work through the consolation bracket. The highest those singles players can finish is third.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- New development plans submitted for 655 Yampa St.
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Routt County real estate transactions: April 13 to 19, 2018