Rick Dowden: Douglas spot-on
April 5, 2009
Steamboat Springs — It would be difficult for me to agree more with Rob Douglas’ column (“Routt County’s April fools”). I am especially intrigued with his idea that we really don’t need full-time commissioners and can leave the day-to-day management of the county’s affairs with what I think is an excellent staff. Then, the commissioners could meet periodically to perform as a board (as do the Steamboat Springs City Council and Steamboat Springs School Board), and not as full-time administrators.
In addition to the county almost certainly running better, we could reduce the commissioner salaries to what part-time board members should be paid and use the money saved for far more necessary and useful things. Rob is to be congratulated on some great thinking and some very clear and accurate observations.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- Students who threatened school shooting in Craig located by police
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Arnold brother surprised, thankful, after Steamboat rallies to save his family’s barn