Ralph and Mary Harris: Rodeo site poor choice
July 11, 2007
Steamboat Springs — We would like to give you our opinion of the Balloon Rodeo that took place last weekend. We have been attending the rodeo for the past 12 years and were very disappointed in the site where the rodeo was held this year.
First of all, the site is way too small to accommodate the balloons, their equipment, the chase vehicles and the throngs of people who attended the event. The site is undeveloped, so the ground is very uneven, posing a threat to older or disabled people as well as children. The site does not give a good representation of what Steamboat is all about with debris and equipment scattered everywhere. The views from this area are totally nondescript as opposed to the previous site where the views are absolutely stunning. We understand that the site was donated by the people who own Native Excavating; this was a most generous gesture on their part and we are not criticizing these folks who obviously have the welfare of Steamboat at heart.
As we left the rodeo, we heard out-of-town guests expressing their disappointment. One couple in particular said they would not return if the rodeo was held in the same location. These are exactly our sentiments.
Surely the city of Steamboat Springs can find a more appropriate site for this wonderful event. A magnificent event such as this deserves a much better location.
Ralph and Mary Harris
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Craig police, school district investigating shooting threat made on high school by two students
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town
- Routt County treasurer withholding tax money from Steamboat after tax error discovered
- Former Steamboat teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop