Powder days piling up at ski area
April 1, 2009
Steamboat Springs — The late-season dumps just keep piling up for the Steamboat Ski Area. The ski area reported another 14 inches overnight and more than 3 ½ feet in the past three days. More than 6 feet of snow has fallen on Mount Werner in the past 10 days.
A winter storm warning for Steamboat Springs expires at 9 p.m. today. An additional 3 to 5 inches of snow could accumulate this afternoon.
Another powerful Pacific storm is expected to affect the region beginning Friday. Snow is likely Friday night and Saturday, according to the National Weather Service.
The ideal ski conditions at the ski area had locals flocking to the mountain the past couple days. Ski Patrol and Steamboat Ski Area ambassadors are out in force today as part of “Guest Service Day,” an attempt by the ski area to control reckless behavior on the ski mountain on April Fools’ Day, often referred to as Gaper Day.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Arrest made in downtown Steamboat business burglary
- Spring runoff 2018 in Steamboat Springs defies the odds
- Assault at restaurant: The Record for Saturday, April 21, 2018
- Remember when naked foxes roamed Steamboat?
- New investigation concludes Sen. Baumgardner created offensive work environment at Capitol