Hunt of the Week: Dave Summers
October 7, 2007
Occupation: Safety/Training Director for a power line utility contractor
Years hunting: 15 and eight with a bow
Guide/outfitter name: Perk Heid w/ Del’s Triangle 3 Ranch
Measurement: 5-by-5 bull elk, measurement unknown
Weapon used: Mathew’s Drenalin bow
Recommended Stories For You
Distance out: 41 yards
Time and date: 6:20 p.m. Sept. 1
Area: Unit 5, Mount Shield area public land
Hunt details: I booked this hunt a year ago and spent a fair amount of time training and dreaming of sending home a bull to Kentucky. Perk probably accepted 50 to 60 phone calls with every question in the world about possibilities and mock hunting scenarios. He would always give me his time, and each call made me more anxious about the hunt. When the time finally came to take off from Del’s, I met Perk and Becky for the first time, and it felt like we’d known each other for years. We enjoyed an awesome week of hunting and got on animals every day.
All I can say about a good outfitter who knows the country is it pays off. We struck up a good friendship, ate well and got on animals every day – that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Not to mention that Perk’s dad, Ray, came in and got my elk so that we could stay out in the field. I didn’t really lift a finger.
I’m sending home a nice 5-by-5 for my first elk with a bow when B&L Quality Taxidermy finishes mounting him. Bob at B&L is another super-helpful person from Colorado. He took care of everything. I had a ball and will be back.
– Please submit Hunt of the Week submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- New Silver Creek Fire burning in Routt National Forest
- Anger, disappointment and shock after mural vandalized in downtown Steamboat Springs
- Pot shop sues city of Steamboat after relocation application denied
- Tom Ross: Steamboat Whistle publication provides glimpse of summer tourism in the 1960s
- Two fires ignite north and south of Steamboat late Sunday afternoon