Holiday Dessert Bake-off: Maria Bidgood’s Chewy Oatmeal Maple Cookies
November 6, 2012
Maria Bidgood’s Chewy Oatmeal Maple Cookies
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Recommended Stories For You
2 cups minus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 300 degrees and position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine oats, coconut, flour, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar in a large bowl; whisk to blend.
Combine butter, maple syrup and corn syrup in a medium saucepan.
Heat over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Combine baking soda and boiling water, stirring to dissolve.
Add to maple syrup mixture, stirring well. Add vanilla extract. Stir into dry ingredients. Place 1/4 cup size balls of dough on baking sheets, 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
Bake 18 to 20 minute until golden brown and set, rotating positions halfway through the baking time. Cool on the baking sheets 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- New development plans submitted for 655 Yampa St.
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Routt County real estate transactions: April 13 to 19, 2018