Holiday Dessert Bake-off: Maria Bidgood’s Chewy Oatmeal Maple Cookies
November 6, 2012
Maria Bidgood’s Chewy Oatmeal Maple Cookies
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Recommended Stories For You
2 cups minus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 300 degrees and position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine oats, coconut, flour, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar in a large bowl; whisk to blend.
Combine butter, maple syrup and corn syrup in a medium saucepan.
Heat over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Combine baking soda and boiling water, stirring to dissolve.
Add to maple syrup mixture, stirring well. Add vanilla extract. Stir into dry ingredients. Place 1/4 cup size balls of dough on baking sheets, 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
Bake 18 to 20 minute until golden brown and set, rotating positions halfway through the baking time. Cool on the baking sheets 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- College student recovers after getting bitten by rattlesnake near Steamboat
- Man who unintentionally fired bullet during Steamboat baseball game is a Wyoming police officer
- City to consider vacating easements near RiverView development on Yampa River
- Steamboat dog makes miraculous recovery
- Ohana’s growth means change for coffee lovers