Holiday Dessert Bake-off: Julia Dancy’s Hazelnut Toffee
November 9, 2012
Julia Dancy’s Hazelnut Toffee
1 1/2 cups toasted, chopped hazelnuts (divided into 1 cup and 1/2 cup)
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
Recommended Stories For You
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
A pinch of salt for sprinkling
Spread 1 cup hazelnuts into a 9-inch circle onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bring sugar, butter, corn syrup and water to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture is golden brown and a candy thermometer registers 290 to 310 degrees (about 15 minutes).
Pour sugar mixture over nuts on sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot sugar mixture and let stand about 30 seconds. With a spatula, spread the chocolate evenly over the top; then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup nuts and salt. Chill one hour, then break into bite-sized pieces.
Store in an airtight container.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Man who unintentionally fired bullet during Steamboat baseball game is a Wyoming police officer
- City to consider vacating easements near RiverView development on Yampa River
- Steamboat dog makes miraculous recovery
- Man self-splints broken arm after being thrown from horse in Zirkels
- Widow’s benefits halved after late husband tests positive for marijuana in Loveland ski area death