Holiday Dessert Bake-off: Julia Dancy’s Hazelnut Toffee
November 9, 2012
Julia Dancy’s Hazelnut Toffee
1 1/2 cups toasted, chopped hazelnuts (divided into 1 cup and 1/2 cup)
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
Recommended Stories For You
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
A pinch of salt for sprinkling
Spread 1 cup hazelnuts into a 9-inch circle onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bring sugar, butter, corn syrup and water to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture is golden brown and a candy thermometer registers 290 to 310 degrees (about 15 minutes).
Pour sugar mixture over nuts on sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot sugar mixture and let stand about 30 seconds. With a spatula, spread the chocolate evenly over the top; then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup nuts and salt. Chill one hour, then break into bite-sized pieces.
Store in an airtight container.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Former Steamboat teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop
- Storm creates white-out conditions on Rabbit Ears Pass
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town
- Routt County treasurer withholding tax money from Steamboat after tax error discovered