Holiday Dessert Bake-off: Diane Anderson’s Baklava
November 9, 2012
Diane Anderson’s Baklava
3 cups sugar
1 ½ cups water
Juice of ½ lemon
1 cup honey
Recommended Stories For You
1 pound Walnut meats, ground
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 pound fila
1 pound Butter, melted
Combine sugar, water and lemon juice. Boil 10 minutes. Slowly add honey. Simmer 5 minutes. Cool completely. Set aside.
Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. Line bottom of buttered 9-by-12-inch pan with 10 to 12 fila, brushing each with melted butter. Sprinkle with thin layer of nut mixture. Cover with 3 fila, brushing each with butter. Sprinkle with nut mixture. Repeat until nut mixture is used, usually 4 layers. Cover with remaining buttered fila. Chill 25 minutes.
Cut pastry into small diamond shapes. Brush again with butter. Insert whole cloves in center of each piece. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 to 1 ½ hours. When slightly browned, remove from oven. Slowly pour cooled syrup over baklava. Cover with foil. Allow to stand 24 hours before cutting and removing pieces from pan.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Anger, disappointment and shock after mural vandalized in downtown Steamboat Springs
- New Silver Creek Fire burning in Routt National Forest
- College student recovers after getting bitten by rattlesnake near Steamboat
- Pot shop sues city of Steamboat after relocation application denied
- After state environmental violations, Routt County considers amending Milner landfill permit