Holiday Dessert Bake-off: Christopher Stone’s Peppermint Patties
November 9, 2012
Christopher Stone’s Peppermint Patties
Makes 2 dozen
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Recommended Stories For You
Orange oil, optional
1/8 cup chopped peppermint candies
1 package (12 oz) chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 300°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In an electric stand mixer or with electric beaters in a bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form. Continue beating while you slowly add the sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form.
Beat in the vanilla and a few drops of the orange oil, if using. With a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips and peppermint candies. Using a soup spoon, scoop up little mounds and push onto the parchment paper with another spoon, leaving about 2 inches of space between mounds. Each baking sheet should hold a dozen meringues.
Bake in the oven until you can smell the meringues and the surfaces are just starting to crack, about 25 minutes, switching pan positions halfway through.
Remove each baking sheet from oven and rest one end on your counter; slide the parchment paper off the baking sheet with the meringues still attached. Let the meringues cool on parchment on counter.
Can be made up to 2 days ahead of time and stored in airtight containers.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat boy battles kidney cancer
- Flourishing or floundering? Bald eagle population recovery celebrated, but another threat remains
- Students who threatened school shooting in Craig located by police
- Spring Creek at a tipping point? Some worry about more cycling traffic coming off of Buffalo Pass
- Arnold brother surprised, thankful, after Steamboat rallies to save his family’s barn