Hike to (or climb) an icefall
November 19, 2012
Steamboat Springs — Want to stretch your legs, without skis or snowshoes? Just because it's winter, doesn't mean you have to hang up your hiking shoes. For a great, close family stroll, head to 283-foot Fish Creek Falls, located just a three-mile drive from downtown. From Lincoln Avenue, head one block north on Third Street and turn right on Fish Creek Falls Road. From the parking lot it's an easy ¼-mile walk up the rest of the road to the trailhead, and then another ¼-mile to the bridge at the base of the falls or to an overlook above.
For more of a thrill, consider ice climbing it with an experienced guide. It's far easier than you think, with top ropes ensuring safety as you live out your Spiderman fantasy. Rocky Mountain Ventures (970-870-8440, http://www.steamboatclimbing.com) offers half-day trips December through March, and provides all equipment and transportation.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Former Steamboat teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop
- Storm creates white-out conditions on Rabbit Ears Pass
- Routt County treasurer withholding tax money from Steamboat after tax error discovered
- Routt County commissioners scrutinize treasurer’s legal spending at tense hearing