Hike to (or climb) an icefall
November 19, 2012
Steamboat Springs — Want to stretch your legs, without skis or snowshoes? Just because it's winter, doesn't mean you have to hang up your hiking shoes. For a great, close family stroll, head to 283-foot Fish Creek Falls, located just a three-mile drive from downtown. From Lincoln Avenue, head one block north on Third Street and turn right on Fish Creek Falls Road. From the parking lot it's an easy ¼-mile walk up the rest of the road to the trailhead, and then another ¼-mile to the bridge at the base of the falls or to an overlook above.
For more of a thrill, consider ice climbing it with an experienced guide. It's far easier than you think, with top ropes ensuring safety as you live out your Spiderman fantasy. Rocky Mountain Ventures (970-870-8440, http://www.steamboatclimbing.com) offers half-day trips December through March, and provides all equipment and transportation.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Man who unintentionally fired bullet during Steamboat baseball game is a Wyoming police officer
- City to consider vacating easements near RiverView development on Yampa River
- Steamboat dog makes miraculous recovery
- Man self-splints broken arm after being thrown from horse in Zirkels
- Widow’s benefits halved after late husband tests positive for marijuana in Loveland ski area death