Choose your own Steamboat Halloween adventure
Routt County Halloween offers something for everyone
October 30, 2009
Steamboat Springs — Flash forward 24 hours. It’s Halloween.
You’re a family person or a candy addict or a Steamboat Springs resident or a young local looking to show off a costume. You’re a haunted house hobbyist or pumpkin carving champion or dance party maniac or someone looking for options outside of town.
No matter what your situation, there’s probably an event to fit your needs Saturday evening. Start at step 1, and choose your own Routt County Halloween adventure from there:
1. Several Halloween events require a costume, and all of them encourage it. If you’ve already got one, proceed to step 3. If not, keep reading at step 2.
2. Local thrift stores, supermarkets, consignment shops and The Costume Party Halloween store might be a bit picked over at this point, but don’t be discouraged. Grab a black dress and fashion a witch hat, pick up some makeup and become a zombie, or craft a pig nose and go as swine flu. Proceed to step 3.
3. From here, it’s all about what you’re looking for. If you’d like to stick around Steamboat and have some wholesome Halloween fun during the day, proceed to step 4. If Halloween is a nighttime-only thing, skip to step 6. If you’re staying down in South Routt, proceed to step 10. For North Routt go to step 11, and for West Routt go to step 12. If you’re a zombie, go to step 13.
Recommended Stories For You
4. There are several family-friendly Halloween activities in Steamboat going on before dark: An exhibition basketball game featuring Denver Broncos players and a costume contest is at 10 a.m. at Steamboat Springs High School. Pilot & Today city editor Blythe Terrell will give a lively reading of her children’s adventure book, “The Haunted Library,” at 2 p.m. at Epilogue Book Co. Steamboat Arts & Crafts Gym hosts free pumpkin decorating from 1 to 4 p.m., and the Steamboat Springs Arts Council hosts its second annual pumpkin competition on the Routt County Courthouse Lawn starting at 3:30 p.m. Proceed to step 5.
5. The candy starts rolling with the Downtown Halloween Stroll from 5 to 7 p.m. on Lincoln Avenue. Fill up the pillowcases at local businesses, and stop by some of the community booths set up in the blocked-off street. Parents can accompany kids to the Boys and Girls Club “Monster Mash” from 6:30 to 9 p.m., and CMC‘s Screamboat Chamber of Horror haunted house has its last run of the year from 6 to 10 p.m. at Monson Hall. Families might want to call it a night here.
6. Several Steamboat bars and restaurants have live entertainment. If you’re looking to hear a live band, go to step 7. For a DJ dance party, go to step 8. If you’re good either way but would like to win some prizes for your costume, go to step 9. If you’d rather go bowling, Snow Bowl has $1 games and $1 beers starting at 10 p.m.
7. Punk rock pioneers Agent Orange play with local rock band the Amputators at 9 p.m. at Ghost Ranch. Folk rockers Missed the Boat pump out a disco theme at 10 p.m. at Mahogany Ridge, and Springdale Quartet plays jazz and funk at Old Town Pub. Denver blues man Kenny Perkins plays at the Tugboat, and Rowdy Shade House Funk Band is at the Boathouse.
9. It’s not easy to come up with an outstanding, creative costume in Steamboat – there’s a lot of competition. But if your outfit has the upper hand, there’s serious loot to be won. Almost every bar is hosting a costume contest with prizes. OTP has Broncos tickets for the best dressed, Rio is giving away cash, and the Tap House has a snowboard as its top prize. To stay in Steamboat for the night, stop here.
10. One Headlamp, featuring local singer-songwriter Todd Musselman, plays at 9 p.m. at The Colorado Bar. There’s a costume contest and a $5 cover. To stay in South Routt, stop here.
11. Admission to both of North Routt’s big public Halloween events is free. Blissful Mayhem plays at Hahn’s Peak Cafe at 8:30 p.m. Jesse Christiansen and Midnight Ride get going at the Glen Eden Family Restaurant and Tavern at 9 p.m. Both events include costume contests and drink specials. To stay in North Routt, stop here.
12. Hayden’s Hi-Way bar is giving away three Las Vegas vacations at its Halloween night bash, which features live music from Cabin Fever, a costume contest and prizes. To stay in West Routt, stop here. Also, if you are not a zombie, stop here.
13. If you are a zombie: Eat brains.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Orthopedic surgeons partner to create new combined practice in Steamboat
- Craig police, school district investigating shooting threat made on high school by two students
- Students who threatened school shooting in Craig located by police
- Mom And Dad set to take over the Old Town Pub in Steamboat
- Steamboat business owner has issues with pot shops being stuck in west side of town