Jump to content
As a small business owner having to pay for our policies with no govt assistance you get a big thumbs up from me. We had good policies from Cover Colorado that were cancelled with ACA and now our premiums are double what they were and will go up again in 2015. We are thinking of just dropping insurance altogether and putting the premiums in a savings account and take our chances . . . . .
Why do you think 2/3rd of the voters and many progressives did not show up? While republicans won in a landslide so did many state wide progressive legislation including more states approving mj for rec. use, person hood amendments going down in flames, minimum wage increases where it was on the ballot---all fitting with the liberal agenda. Do not whitewash the election results---Obama's policies are extremely unpopular and the voters (lots of independents I might add) want him STOPPED. Believe me the republican party gives very few a warm fuzzy feeling and frankly they know it! And if millions more Americans had good, full time jobs and tax reform was such that corporations brought thousands of jobs back to the US, health care would almost be rendered moot because it would become available to those willing to work. Trillions of $$ is sitting on the sidelines waiting to be invested in jobs and R&D, but govt regulation, including OC as it now stands, and taxes have businesses in a strangle hold. Cheers! .
DanS--Food for thought--
1) No reason to get "down in the dirt" with other posters.
2) If OC went away or modified it would mean more full time jobs for millions, many of which would include health plans again with employer contributions.
3) Affordable health care should be handled by private enterprise with perhaps a few new govt regulations (tort reform, nationwide competition) as this will be less costly than anything govt could do. ie: pro-bono services two days a month from docs in clinics attached to hospitals to keep runny noses out of the ER as one idea
4) TAX REFORM--I think all poster would agree that GE should pay corporate income taxes at some level if they saw bottom line profits of $8 bil. However of all the worlds population some are born chiefs and some are born and happy to be indians. Wouldn't you agree? Not everyone is born with the same mental capacity. That is just a fact and has nothing to do with circumstances they were born into. And frankly, some are just more motivated than others!
5) We are by far the most charitable country in the world! Many charities are set up to deal with pre-exiting conditions that are beyond the control of the individual as I mentioned in a previous post. If this country went to a modified flat tax, many would have MORE money to give to charity. Look at how many $5 checks came in to the Red Cross after Hurricanes Sandy and Katrina? This was all some were able to give but they did anyway. My charity of choice is Planned Parenthood because this organization should not be in govt budget to fund but I am a strong supporter of the services (affordable PAPs and family planning services) they provide to women.
6) We are first and foremost a nation of independent thinkers and MOST of the electorate does NOT vote strict party lines. That is why it is so discouraging that Obama is basically thumbing his nose at the election and forging ahead with his agenda that the people resoundingly said NO to. Many of his supporters did not come out to vote because they are probably too busy trying to make a living and his promises did not work for them.
This post is too long--too bad I have plenty more to say. LOL
Where does it say anywhere that the govt is responsible (or anyone else for that matter) to cover pre-existing conditions? My husband and I both have pre-existing conditions that were excluded in previous health policies and we dealt with it by funding health savings accounts and other savings. We made changes to our "lifestyles" to improve those health conditions. Why should millions of middle and lower class families have to make sacrifices (which they have) so there is coverage for your and our health conditions!! Millions of families have lost their insurance, had to drop insurance because the premiums have gone thru the roof, had their hours cut at work or worse yet had their jobs eliminated because small business owners had the choice to provide OC or go out of business. Obamacare has been the single largest factor in preventing the economy from a true recovery. While I do not believe it will be rescinded many of the provisions must be eliminated for families to afford insurance and get their jobs back and to truly grow the economy. Frankly, lots of pre-existing conditions are lifestyle choices in the food eaten, activities engaged in, smoking, drinking, engaging in reckless behavior---personal choices that taxpayers should not have to fund. And for those with pre-existing conditions like children with debilitating diseases, there are many charitable organizations providing the medical and financial support, i.e. Shriners for children, Susan G. Komen for breast cancer assistance. Do not make me go on and on with many other examples because I will!! If you think you are "owed" insurance on the backs of taxpayers for your pre-existing condition I say selfish, selfish, selfish!!
Perhaps the independent voter thought 3 democratic commissioners was not a balanced representation of the county and a thoughtful republican candidate with good local experience was the right answer, Scott.
"Problem is republicans are going to have to actually do something . . . " Let's be accurate now, Dan. Obama will no longer have Harry Reid to play interference for him. There will no longer be 380 + bills sitting on a desk in some senators office - many with bi partisan support. May now interfere with O's golf schedule as bills will reach his desk quickly and he may actually have to "work for a living." Congress has been working harder than you indicate, now the President will have to do his part and give up/down votes or actually reach across the aisle to compromise. This will be very telling as to O's "legacy" if he actually took to heart what the electorate was telling him. If his supporters did not come out to support "his" candidates they must not be very happy . . . This was an independents election especially in Colorado where Gardner won and so did Hickenlooper. I am proud of Coloradans who voted for the candidate of their choice--not necessarily the party.
I know, Scott, that you always want the final word in absolutely every thread so this is my final comment to you regarding Obama care. It has hurt millions more people than it has helped. I am sure you know of the 29/49 phenomena--workers hours reduced t0 29 hours a week, small businesses holding employment to 49 employees instead of the 56 employees they really need to be under OC threshold. The millions who lost their plans, the millions whose premiums have sky rocketed so do not give me your arguments about how helpful it has been. How about fairly weighing those helped against those hurt.
Funny, Scott, that you don't mention Obamacare which is by far the most unpopular legislation ever to come out of a President's office and was the main reason voters shifted their alliances. I think the electorate is telling us they want no more big govt interference. And what about this questionable Ebola czar? More of the same from this POTUS.
Dan, This election was not a tidal wave because the electorate is sooooo in love with the republicans and their candidates. This sweep was a statement from the citizens that they want Obama and his progressive agenda STOPPED! Pretty darn obvious that the media is spinning the results. This was much more than anti-incumbent sentiment considering McConnell was re-elected. The independents came out in force for a different agenda.
Scott, Get over yourself and stop over analyzing this race! Cari and Steve are both well known and competent candidates and the electorate was torn. Too bad that they were not each running for different offices because they both have a compassion to serve the public and have the experience. $$ had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome!! Go get some air!!!
Last login: Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Contents of this site are © Copyright 2015 Steamboat Pilot & Today. All rights reserved.