Do you agree with the decision to reduce the speed limit on Yampa Street in Steamboat Springs to 15 mph?

Yes, it improves pedestrian safety 199 votes

40.61%

No, it's too slow 291 votes

59.39%

490 total votes

Comments

Pat West 1 year, 1 month ago

I think it should be 15 mph when pedestrians are present, or from 10am to 2am.

geraldm651 1 year, 1 month ago

I think the notion of a 15 mph speed limit on a 4-lane highway is absurd. The pedestrian crossing signal should be sufficient to meet pedestrian safety needs.

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

They need to make Yampa street the focal point of downtown so they can get all these events off of Lincoln and stop closing a major cross country highway for every little occassion. Sorry Tracy and Main Street Steamboat but as this town grows and traffic grows in the western states a line should be drawn.

Mark Ruckman 1 year, 1 month ago

Walt, personally I respectively disagree...I love the downtown events that allow the whole town come together on Lincoln. These events have a great atmosphere and energy.

For a few hours for each event, traffic can take Oak or Yampa and bypass the locals having some fun. Whilst I have only been a "local" for a year these events are special and I have never lived in another town that took celebrations and events this serious.

If NYC can shut major roads such as Broadway, 5th St etc for events little SB can shut down Lincoln.

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Mark, the difference is alternate routes. Oak and Yampa are the detours. Yampa probably won't be soon. Therefore try getting delivery trucks and semi trucks and shear volume with approx 10,000 visitors and 12,000 locals funneling onto Oak street with traffic coordinators who don't do the job for a living and you have a big mess. Your example of NYC has hundreds of alternate routes.

Pat West 1 year, 1 month ago

So Walt is against the 4th of July parade, and the Winter Carnival street events because the may in convince travelers? I love these events, and love the fact the Steamboat can close downtown streets for these time honored traditions. Traffic, and the flow of automobiles always seems to take care of itself during these events, and the minor detour to Oak st is professionally managed by our CSO's. When the Pro Challenge came here two years ago, we shut down US-40 through downtown, and had 10,000 fans packed into the closed road downtown. The delay for a cross town trucker couldn't have been more than 20 min, as the Oak st detour kept traffic flowing throughout the event. They can spend thousands on Yampa, but I hope the July 4th parade, and the Winter Carnival street events will never leave Lincoln.

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Pat, I am not against the July 4th parade or Winter Carnival. I just think these and other petty events should be moved onto Yampa Street since there is such a focus on revitalizing that street.

Also maybe the PCC did have skilled traffic coordinators but that was for 1 event 2 years ago and there are several other events each year that seem to be using the untrained Jack and Jills to attempt to flow traffic thru the side streets.

Mark Ruckman 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't forget the Halloween party - that is a blast to see adults and children dressed up having fun.

Pat West 1 year, 1 month ago

Walt, the SSPD's Community Service Officers handle all the detours.

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Incorrect Pat. I was sitting in a long line during Mustang Weekend on oak and at each intersection I was talking to the "traffic enforcers" and they said they were volunteers for the events.
I know a few CSOs and there are not enough of them to spread out through all of downtown. Again maybe "your" event uses them. But most don't.