Do you support the city's proposal to cut Steamboat Springs Transit funding by eliminating the Yellow Line and nine full-time driving positions as well as reducing evening bus service in the summer?

Yes, the cuts have to come from somewhere. 226 votes

33.48%

No, free bus service is too important to residents and visitors. 411 votes

60.89%

I don't ride the bus, so I don't care. 38 votes

5.63%

675 total votes

Comments

Aaron Murphy 1 year, 10 months ago

Cutting the Yellow Line I understand, because it's consistently SST's lowest ridership. Able bodied college kids can hoof it up the hill with their ski and snowboard gear if they have to. But cutting nine full time positions? Surely the city can come up with a better way to trim money from their budget. What's a full time bus driver's salary compared to a city manager, a department head, etc... Start at the top, lead from the top.

Kate Totos 1 year, 10 months ago

A terrible idea, I understand the low ridership issue but the people that I know ride out of neccesity to get back and forth to work, school, daycare, Dr. appointments and day to day errands. These people that do depend on the bus would be stranded otherwise, It is a strong reason some even choose to live at Hillside Village Apartments, people are really worried about how they are going to "make it work" if the bus does go away. We are talking about losing 9 jobs right off the top not to mention the others that may lose theirs because of a lack of transportation. Why not buy a van? City should be looking to protect our workforce.

Jason Miller 1 year, 10 months ago

I counted on the bus to take me everywhere in the dead of winter,when i lived there.But eight months out of the year i rode my bike.However,i think people should still have access to the bus.I seen another person comment it is time to charge for the bus.I know times are hard for some but a 20-25 dollar a month pass(fee) to ride all buses seems reasonable.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 10 months ago

It seems that many more people politically support the Yellow Line than ride it.

Kate Totos 1 year, 10 months ago

Ya, mabe because they realize it should be there, after all, our taxes do pay for it.

Casey Barnett 1 year, 10 months ago

Having lived in the Yellow Line, I feel the low ridership on the Yellow line is due to it not being on as set a schedule and at convenient times. A line that doesn't start until after I need to go to work and stops after I get off work makes it unrideable. It would be better if the line ran 6am-9am and then stopped and re ran 4pm-10pm. During the rest of the day, getting up the hill or down the hill is much easier, all time of year. Also it has to run on the 20 minute schedule like all of the other lines. 1 bus per hour does no good, from experience. One thing I do know, is that by cutting the yellow line, many of those in our community that do not have vehicles and many of the clients of Horizons will be effected by this, and may be forced to move because they will not have access to transit in the condos/apartments and homes on the yellow line.