In the wake of the Dec. 14 school shooting in Connecticut, how do you think mass shootings can be prevented?

They can’t be prevented. 113 votes

16.97%

Stricter gun-control laws would go a long way. 226 votes

33.93%

Public buildings should install metal detectors. 26 votes

3.90%

Friends, family members and co-workers need to better identify potential shooters and get them the help they need. 250 votes

37.54%

Other 51 votes

7.66%

666 total votes

Comments

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 4 months ago

Full disclosure:

1. I'm as pro 2A as it gets.
  2. I'm a card-carrying heathen.

Mike Huckabee on Fox today: “Should we be surprised” at the carnage when “we've removed God from schools?”

Newsflash, halfwit: it's not the school's job to provide religious instruction and indoctrinate new members into the ranks of the faithful. Meanwhile, I'm sure our jackbooted friends on the totalitarian left will react as they always do – by insisting we confiscate guns from the people who didn't do it. Huckabee & Costas: two sides of the same dribble glass.

It appears the shooter was afflicted with autism & Aspergers. The Aurora & Virginia Tech perps were 1st class whackjobs, whose psychological & mental challenges were matters of record. Charles Krauthammer has proposed involuntary commitment in the event a professional has reason to believe a patient is dangerous. Makes my skin crawl, but it's certainly worth talking about.

Finally and most importantly... to the extent that an unbeliever's prayer has any utility: may God keep the lost and embrace their loved ones.

jerry carlton 1 year, 4 months ago

Brian Not trying to start a debate but why would you pray to something that you do not believe in?

mark hartless 1 year, 4 months ago

Jerry, Haven't you heard? Many atheists basically take the following position: "There is no God... and I hate him."

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 4 months ago

Jerry: I often take the Lord's name in vain as an invective, even though I don't believe in Him. Why not invoke Him in an expression of sympathy and condolence?

Mark: Non belief is not analogous with denial. It's the difference between agnosticism and atheism. Hatred may be part of your paradigm; it has not been factored into mine.

George Fargo 1 year, 4 months ago

The leading choice in your poll (by a small amount) is the "friends and family need to identify and get help for mass murderers". I suspect that most of these are actually just voting for "it's not the guns, it's the creeps". I hope that none of these voters think that this is a reasonable solution to the problem. The symptoms of mental illness are subtle, insidious and difficult for even trained professionals to diagnose. A lay person has very little chance to diagnose real mental illness, never mind being able to pinpoint those who might massacre children.

And even if you could identify these individuals, "getting help" is problematic. What kind of help would you get? Who would you contact? What if the person refuses help? You see, the physically sick brain thinks it is normal, thinks there is nothing wrong. And if this person is truly a potential mass killer, the only help that is meaningful is a lockdown mental hospital. Have you ever tried to put someone into a mental hospital? If they are over 18 years of age, they have to voluntarily check in, unless you get a court order. And good luck with that. Remember, this is your friend or close family member.

In the Newtown case, the dust certainly has not settled yet, but from the reports so far, the shooter was quiet, smart, nerdy and liked video games but showed no unusual symptoms. Are we to round up all people of that description and get them some help? The mother was described as personable, nice, normal, a social butterfly, played Bunco with the neighborhood ladies, kept a nicely landscaped yard, had a heart of gold and owned a stash of semi-automatic assault weapons. Anybody see any red flags here?

I am convinced that if the mother had not owned those weapons, none of us today would have ever heard of Newtown, Connecticut.

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 4 months ago

This is where the conversation needs to go: http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=1

" ...I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7 and 9 year old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me...

...I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am James Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness..."

Mike Isaac 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow Routt and maybe Moffit Counties 33% of you are so childlike that you think passing a law is going to stop some nut case who likely was " over medicated" on who know what kind of SSRI's ? Passing a gun ban or other gun laws will make it harder for normal people to get guns. But trust me the thugs and gang bangers will just ship them across the border like they do all the Coke. Chicago and NYC have the highest crime rates and the most Nazi like gun laws. While states like Colorado and Wyoming have fewer stupid gun laws and a lot more guns but less crime. ANY ???? 33%

Wow George Fargo lets blame the MOM for being a gun owner. I will blame her for not owning a gun safe like many here in Colorado. But this kids lived in Conn which in about 90 miles from NYC maybe closer never been there and Im sure he could have bought a illegal firearm in that city.

The KKK started this gun control non sense and Hitler Mau and Stalin took in to the next level and it looks like Obama Feinstein and Bloomberg are the modern day 3 stooges who are getting ready to burn the Constitution...

Michelle Hale 1 year, 4 months ago

God has NO religion, only people do. Ghandi said it best. "I admire your Christ, but your Christians are so unlike him."

The USA is the largest arms dealer in the world, and yet want to control firearms here? Due to the actions of this nation, other places in the world see the death of children everyday, due to bombs, guns, and backing oppressive government like Isreal. Hell, we trained Osma Bin Laudin, and have hand picked dictators all over the world. What happened here this past week is a daily event for far too many. It would also be nice if there was a REAL conversation about the Black Budget of this nation, and not looking at cutting Social Security for those who can least afford a loss, our old, our sick and our poor.

As far as our Constitution. I have not seen this paper, or much media at all even address the NDAA. How many people know that we no longer are covered under the first amendment? How many know that it was signed over a year ago? How many know that over 90 senators on both sides of the isle voted in favor or it? Only seven had the backbone to stand up and say NO to it. How many know that if it had not been signed (due to the GOP) our service men and women would not have been paid for many months? So our First Amendment is gone, and now an effort to go after the Second Amendment.

Shouldn't we be talking about mental health issues? The fact that there is little to no help outside of a pill that often makes things worse. Maybe we should be talking about the 450,000 young men and women with PTSD that are being given these drugs. Take a look at the numbers of Vets killing themselves, others, and family. We have good old Ronald Reagan to thank for that mess. He closed all State/Federal facilities and turned a large number of people out on the street. The empact was around 250,000 to 500,000 this is guess work, because homeless people dont have and address, they are not seen or counted. When that happened, not only did homelessness go up, but so did crime, violent crime, and drug abuse.