Do permitted concealed weapons held by members of the public make the community safer?

Yes 244 votes

53.74%

No 210 votes

46.26%

454 total votes

Comments

another_local 6 years, 5 months ago

Can anyone name an example of when a legal concealed weapon save someones life or prevented a violent crime anywhere in Routt County in, say, the last 20 years?

Stuart Hassell 6 years, 5 months ago

Concealed carry is a lesson in responsibility. You have to make a commitment every time you put your weapon on and walk out the door. You have to pass a background check to even get the permit. Do I feel safer having permit holders in Routt County? Yes. Because every one of those permit holders has been checked out. Remember, anyone can stuff a gun down their pants and walk around the streets. Those are the ones that scare me, not the people who have taken the proper steps and do it legally.

another_local 6 years, 5 months ago

Looks like the answer to my question is "no".

Seeu, I don't doubt there are places where it makes more sense than it does here. BTW, a gun at home or in the work place is not the same thing as concealed carry. Most of the stories in Nxoby's post are beside the point.

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

and I guess the answer to my question is you can't prove that someone with a conceal carry permit hasn't saved a life or foiled a crime.

watersnakeden 6 years, 5 months ago

WHAT CRIMANAL OBEYS GUN LAWS ANYWAYS. THE LAW IS ONLY THERE FOR THOSE OF US WHO RESPECT IT AND ABIDE BY IT. WE MAKE LAWS SAYING ITS AGAINTS THE LAW TO HAVE A AK-47 WITH A 50 ROUND CLIP FULLY AUTOMATIC AND GUESS WHAT THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE THEM ARE THE BAD GUYS AND GIRLS. I WAS IN LA WHEN THOSE MANIAC BANK ROBBERS WENT ON THEIR SHOOTING SPREE NO ONE NOT EVEN THE COPS HAD GUNS TO STOP THEM THE COPS 9MM AND .223 SHELLS JUST BOUNCED OFF THEM AND THE BAD GUYS THEY HAD 7.62 MM FULLY AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUNS. THE COPS HAD TO GO FIND A GUN STORE THAT CARRIED ENOUGH FIREPOWER TO PUT THOSE CRAZIES DOWN. bECAUSE OF THE TOUGH LAWS OUT THERE IT WASNT EASY AND GOOD PEOPLE DIED WHY THE COPS TRIED TO FIND POWERFUL ENOUGH GUNS. REALLY SUCKS WHEN THE LAWS DO EVERYTHING THERE DESINGED NOT TO DO WE SHOULD FEEL PROTECTED NOT SCARED. dO I REALLY WANT TO SEE FOLKS WALKING AROUND SPORTING SIDE ARMS ABOUT 90% SAYS YES but I wish 100% there was A BETTER WAY. i WANT TO BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE SAME WEOPENS AND OTHER CRAZY CRAP THAT THE BAD GUYS CAN GET AT LEAST THEN THE FIELD IS EVEN. iF SOMEONES BREAKS INTO YOUR HOUSE WITH A MAC-10 AND A BULLET PROOF VEST AND ALL YOU HAVE IS YOUR BASEBALL BAT AND THE THOUGHT THAT YOU VOTED FOR THAT GUN CONTROL BILL. YOU REALLY WANT TO HOPE THAT THE GUYS JUST ROBS YOU AND LEAVES FORGET THAT I WANT A FIGHTING CHANCE A FIGHTING LEGAL CHANCE.

two_planker 6 years, 5 months ago

We should take all hand guns and melt them down....think about it. What are they really good for? AND, before you reply do the research and look at the countries around the world that dont allow hand guns in society! I didnt say all guns...god forbid we lose the second amendment.

knee_dropper 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you two planker, the myth that heavily armed societies are any safer than one w/o an abundance of weapons is alive and well. It's too bad that pandora's box has been open for so long that it is virtually impossible to ban handguns, and then "only the bad guys will have the guns." Hence, banning handguns at this point is not a really viable idea. What we need to do is close the loopholes that still allow felons to purchase handguns at gun shows.