Are tighter regulations needed for sheepherding dogs on public lands?

Yes 153 votes

33.70%

No 301 votes

66.30%

454 total votes

Comments

vic 7 years, 3 months ago

The dog was doing his job. Sorry for the death of a pet, however the pet should have at least been under voice control.

ColoradoNative 7 years, 3 months ago

If we pass any more regs in Steamboat/yampa valley we mine as well just start calling this area the USSR.

gros8704 7 years, 3 months ago

Why USSR...just call us Aspen. Yes the sheep dogs were protecting their flock as they were bred and trained to do.

Getitright 7 years, 3 months ago

A year ago I was camped along a small creek with a friend and my dog. My friend got to the creek before I did and was just getting ready to cast his fly rod. There was a herd of sheep about one hundred yards on the other side of the creek. My friend saw two white dogs charging him from a distance. He ran back to camp where I saw what was happening and put my dog in the car quickly. My buddy made it back to camp without getting mauled. These two dogs did not enter our camp but charged a passing pickup ready to eat the contents as it passed. We noticed that there were no sheep herders anywhere near. I'm only glad that we did not have any children with us. If these dogs are just doing their job and are not attended by humans, I guess I will just have to carry a gun to protect myself from these dogs that are just doing their job.

BAR_UE 7 years, 3 months ago

So what is wrong with carrying a gun? GetItRight? Sounds like you got it wrong! If the other dog attacks you, then shoot it! If your dog attacks me...stand back.

Cypher1 7 years, 3 months ago

"I'm only glad that we did not have any children with us."

Hey nature boy! Nobody ever said it was all s***s and grins out there! Be glad you don't have wolves and grizzlys to contend with.

oofcboy 7 years, 3 months ago

I cant wait until a pacifist gets mauled by an elk or moose will have to put laws on them or extend hunting season

colobob 7 years, 3 months ago

As a sportsman and gun owner myself I see nothing wrong with carrying a sidearm for personal protection where legal. I do worry however that if everyone did it problems would surely arise. A good can of bear spray is an effective way to deter a threatening dog and a less lethal (or non lethal) alternative. If one feels compelled to carry a sidearm that's fine but I personally would prefer to have the option of the spray as well. Good ones will shoot shoot a spray in excess of 20ft. A firearm should always be the last line of defense. I'm sure I'll get plenty of flak on this but this my own personal opinion. A can of bear spray in wilderness areas is never a bad idea.

colobob 7 years, 3 months ago

slightly off subject: Persons interested in purchasing bear spray should consider the larger canisters as well as a holster to keep them on your person. They should also be aware that they have expiration dates on them and should not be used for defense beyond those dates. Out of date sprays are best used for practice and to familiarize yourself with their function. A paper plate tacked (thumb tack) to a tree or fence post makes an excellent target. When discharging an out of date canister pay attention to wind direction. Be sure to wash your hands after use and keep your hands away from your face until you have done so. Remember to dispose of the container properly, fully discharged and in a proper recepticle. These sprays are available from most outfitters, in catalogs, and even on eBay. **Remember to check the expiration date!