Do you support the School Board's decision to buy out the final two years of Donna Howell's contract?

Yes 98 votes

16.23%

No 506 votes

83.77%

604 total votes

Comments

untamedShrewd 7 years, 1 month ago

What a disgrace to the community that the school board represents less than 20 percent of the constituency. Donna Howell's termination does not serve the greater good of the registered voters who have expressed disappointment in the lack of professionalism of the school board. Whether we, the public, are Dr. D supporters or not; or voted for some of the board members--The majority disagrees with the decision and immaturity of the process led by the board.

addlip2U 7 years, 1 month ago

The question should read:

"Do you support the School Board in the way they reacted to the behaviour by one of the board member by not acting at all ? "

Than the question written above would not need to have been even asked.

dimwitiguess 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes I agree with addlip2u, why didn't the board tell Pat Gleason that he broke policy and confidentiality to the detriment of the district. As a board member, confidential things learned should be confidential during and AFTER time on the board. I hope the board members of hte future do not take it upon themselves to reveal student and staff information whenever it suits their personal agendas.

autumnwitch 7 years, 1 month ago

Not really worded the best- I said no because she should never have been let go in the first place.

sportzmama 7 years, 1 month ago

This is such a shame. Dr. Howell has been an asset to this community and to our children. You just don't know it yet. I wish the District luck in finding someone that the Board can control. The Connelly/DeVincentis train rolls on - beware - just beware. Hmmm I wonder if Mr. Devincentis would prefer a male Superintendent as he obviously has issues with women in a position of power.

Dr. Howell, I wish you the best. You need to go to a District where your knowledge and skills will be appreciated not bashed.

sportzmama 7 years, 1 month ago

localfuzz - you're right - that's all we can do. We can post to these blogs all we want , but it really means nothing if we don't go out and exercise our given right to vote. When you have a poll as lopsided as this one ON TOP OF the public comment to retain Dr. Howell at the meeting last week, something is really wrong with that. I wish Dr. Howell all the best. The next District that gets her will be getting a gem.

localfuzz 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree with sportzmama and I plan on letting my feelings regarding the school board be known come election time in November.

JustSomeJoe 7 years, 1 month ago

Donna said she doesn't have plans to leave Steamboat. Maybe she will stay and run for one of the school board seats, wouldn't that be a hoot? Hopefully she lives in one of the districts up for election.

RoxyDad 7 years, 1 month ago

She should have been termiated with no monetary compensation

Diana Simon 7 years, 1 month ago

I wish I would have had more understanding of Donna's role in the beginning of this issue. But, DeVincentis did write inappropriate e-mails on a public owned computer which showed a hostile side of his personality. I don't like the fact that he's staying and she's leaving. I think she should be compensated.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

untamedShrewd- What 20% are you talking about? Is that the 20% who signed a recall properly in proportion to the extra 5-7% on top of that that didn't fill it out properly? Or would that be the 20% that never signed the recall? Which do you mean since it's obvious that since the recall of D failed that the recall was a minority opinion?

untamedShrewd 7 years, 1 month ago

hey matthew...who cares about doc d...it's about the termination (supporters or not of doc d)...just look at the poll...try scrolling up a bit. duh!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

untamedShrewd- The poll can be voted on many times by a single person and is not scientific. Duh! How many time did you vote even if you can't prove it?

Plus, the poll only reflects about 600 votes as of 17AUG. Heck- the failed recall garnered more votes than that. The termination was a result of breaking trust with the board that D sits on, and your post mentioned D, also. You helped make him a part of it.

So you mean 20% of a skewed poll is being represented by the current BOE? Since Steamboat has appoximately 9000-10,000 voters, how does this poll reflect the total community?