May 7, 2011
Former Steamboat Springs firefighter Henry Muhme said after crews finished fighting the May 1961 county annex fire, which burned a fire truck and a candle company, crews found a case of unexploded dynamite in the basement.
Stories this photo appears in:
Fire services in transition 50 years after county annex destroyed
Henry Muhme can’t remember all the details, but he’s pretty sure what woke him up shortly after 4 a.m. on May 4, 1961, was the siren. “Whenever that went off, we could hear it all over town,” Muhme recalled last week. That morning, Muhme and maybe nine others were at the county annex building for 12 hours, fighting one of the most destructive blazes in Steamboat history.