Tom D. Smith was born Aug. 14, 1928, in Routt County to Jim and Bernice Iola (Moore) Smith, the third of six sons. He passed away March 6, 2011, in Craig.
Tom grew up in the coal camps of Routt County, living in Bear River, Oak Creek, McGregor and Steamboat Springs. He attended the Bear River School through eighth grade, but at age 14 he left school to work.
In 1949, Tom was married to Joann Morgan, and to that union one son, Terrance D. Smith, was born. Tom joined the Army in 1951 as the Korean War began. He was honorably discharged as a master sergeant.
In 1954, Tom married Inez Pankey (Hinkle), a young widow with two small children, Carla and Steve Hinkle, and he took on raising those kids. The family grew with the birth of LuAnn in 1956, Thomas Bryon in 1959 and Brick in 1962.
During those years, Tom supported his family by truck driving, working for Larsen Transport, McKibben Trucking, Motor Cargo and Stanton. In 1966, he began driving a gasoline tanker for Phillips 66. He finished his driving career with American Gilsonite.
Tom was preceded in death by his parents; brothers Malvin, Jimmie and Marion; and sisters Jane Hooper Martin and Ruth Hooper Murton.
He is survived by his wife of almost 57 years, Inez; his six children; 14 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; brothers Don (Daisy), of Craig, and Buster (Marian), of Henderson, Nev.; two sisters-in-law; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.
A memorial service was March 9 at The Journey at First Baptist Church with Pastor Len Browning officiating. Randell Kline read the eulogy, and Edwin Hinkle spoke about Tom’s life. Honorary pallbearers were his six grandsons, Clayton Smith, Bryon Smith, Karl Kline, Brett Kline, Eric Young and Kevin Young.
A slide show of Tom’s life was created by his children and played at the service. Musical selections were “Daddy’s Hands” and “The Old Rugged Cross.” Military honors were rendered by VFW Post 4265 and American Legion Post 62.
Memorial donations may be made to VNA, Hospice or to the Elevator Fund at the Journey at First Baptist Church.