Water rules in Steamboat are likely to last
July 4, 2012
Stage 2 mandatory water restrictions:
• Potable water shall be used for beneficial purposes and should not be wasted.
• No outdoor watering between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
• Outdoor watering schedule is based on the last number of the customer’s street address. Odd-numbered addresses can water Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays; even-numbered addresses can water Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. There is no watering permitted Wednesdays.
• No vehicle washing at residences.
• No washing hard surfaces such as driveways, sidewalks and parking areas. Sweep with a broom instead.
• No running outdoor water features.
• No use of domestic water for dust control.
• Limit the filling of swimming pools to one filling per year, unless draining for repairs.
• Permits may be secured for newly-sodded lawns and newly-planted trees for as many as 14 consecutive days and for newly-seeded lawns for as many as 25 consecutive days with the exception of Wednesdays.
Tips for conserving water
• Avoid watering in windy conditions.
• Adjust sprinklers to avoid watering hard surfaces. Set timers to avoid over-watering.
• Because our clay soils restrict penetration of water, it is better to water for three short intervals than for one long interval.
• When irrigating with a hose, use a spring-loaded nozzle, not a free-running hose.
• Cut your lawn no shorter than three inches to reduce soil moisture loss and to promote deeper roots.
• Avoid planting trees and shrubs or sodding new lawns during the drier, hotter months.
• Plant native grasses and shrubs or drought-tolerant species in place of water-intensive species.