Warmer storm approaches from the southwest, bringing potential for fresh snow on Storm Peak | SteamboatToday.com

Warmer storm approaches from the southwest, bringing potential for fresh snow on Storm Peak

— The next bout of wintry weather was expected to roll into Steamboat Springs on Wednesday night, and although it isn't expected to produce as much snow on the valley floor as fell Oct. 3 and 4, it's likely to freshen up Storm Peak with measurable snow Thursday night.

The National Weather Service in Grand Junction rated the chance of rain in Steamboat on Wednesday night at 40 percent with an anticipated low temperature of 37 degrees. The chance of rain in the city increases to 60 percent on Thursday and jumps to 70 percent before midnight.

The temperature in town could dip to 33 degrees Thursday night, raising the possibility of some snow accumulation. But it's at the top of Mount Werner on Steamboat Ski Area where snowfall could be significant.

A computer-generated forecast from Storm Peak Laboratory at 10,531 feet on the ski area predicts 1 to 3 inches of snow could accumulate Thursday night.

Weather Service senior forecaster in Grand Junction Chris Cuoco explained that this week's storm, which will approach Steamboat from the Four Corners, won't bring the low temperatures associated with last week's storm.

"Due to the more southern track of this storm, it is projected to be warmer than the one last week," Cuoco wrote Wednesday morning in a forecast discussion. "Snow levels are not expected to drop as low."

Recommended Stories For You

Cuoco expects the greatest storm energy to affect the western San Juan Mountains to the southwest of the Yampa Valley.

The Weather Service calls for the chance of snow in the Park Range east of Steamboat to continue Friday then take a sunshine break Saturday before another storm track arrives Sunday.

To reach Tom Ross, call 970-871-4205, email tross@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @ThomasSRoss1

Go back to article