Steamboat police make arrest after man is seriously injured in fight at Dream Island |

Steamboat police make arrest after man is seriously injured in fight at Dream Island

Daniel M Keach

— Police on Tuesday night arrested a 27-year-old Steamboat Springs man who is suspected of using a wooden club to seriously injure another man during a fight at Dream Island Plaza.

After the fight, police arrested Daniel M. Keach on suspicion of first-degree assault and violating a protection order that prohibited him from consuming alcohol.

The victim of the fight sustained serious injuries to his face and right eye.

A doctor later said the victim was “lucky to be alive,” according to an arrest affidavit for Keach filed in Routt County Court.

According to the arrest affidavit, officers were called to the fight at Dream Island at about 7 p.m. Tuesday and arrived at a trailer to find the victim, Joshua Harding, with severe facial injuries cleaning blood off himself.

Interviewed later at the emergency room at Yampa Valley Medical Center, Harding told police he had a disagreement with a friend and that the friend hit him in the face with what Harding thought was a baseball bat.

Recommended Stories For You

Harding said he could not remember the name of the friend who hit him.

Another friend of Harding’s told police that earlier in the day, Harding and Keach had gotten into a fight at the Old Town Pub about a pool cue before they were kicked out by management.

A manager at the bar later told police that after Keach and Harding were kicked out, Keach stood in front of the Routt County Courthouse and yelled “I’m going to (expletive) kill him” over and over, according to the affidavit.

The friend of Harding’s rode the bus home to Dream Island with the men and said Keach tried to throw a punch at Harding while they were on the bus, but she was able to get between them and stop it.

The woman said the two men then went together to a trailer at Dream Island, according to the affidavit.

The woman told police that an hour later, Keach showed up at her trailer covered in blood and asked her to call an ambulance for Harding.

Interviewed by police, Keach said he and Harding were assaulted at the Old Town Pub and denied being in a fight.

Keach “could not explain the blood on his clothes or the cuts on the knuckles of both hands,” according to the affidavit.

When asked if he assaulted Harding, police stated that Keach started to cry.

When he was questioned, the officer said he observed Keach glancing at a wooden club near a door several times.

Police said in the affidavit that the wooden club contained two red stains that appeared to be blood.

After being pressed further about why Keach was looking at the club, police said Keach “began to cry uncontrollably and said something to the effect of ‘just take me to jail,'” according to the affidavit.

Police wrote that Keach was “highly intoxicated” during the interview.

Keach was advised in court Wednesday afternoon. His bond was set at $20,000.

Go back to article