Steamboat hockey holds on against Kent Denver, 3-2 |

Steamboat hockey holds on against Kent Denver, 3-2

Luke Graham

Steamboat Springs center Jake Bearss attempts to get around Kent Denver defender John Eansor during Friday night's game at Howelsen Ice Area.

— Good teams can play for a period and win.

Especially when that period might have been the Steamboat Springs High School hockey team's best of the year. Steamboat got three first-period goals and withstood a late Kent Denver rally to take a 3-2 win Friday at Howelsen Ice Arena.

"The first period was awesome," Steamboat coach Jeff Ruff said. "You know we played with skill, intensity, and we were doing what we wanted to do. Credit Kent for changing up their game plan and getting a little more physical."

That physicality led to both teams taking an inordinate amount of penalties and ruining the flow of a beautiful first period.

Steamboat got going early, when John Wharton made a phenomenal pass to Lance Ostrom in the neutral zone. From there, Os­­trom went backhand for a 1-0 lead.

Then, with Steamboat on the penalty kill, Jake Bearss intercepted a pass and fed Ostrom again. This time, the junior went to the forehand for a 2-0 lead.

Recommended Stories For You

Minutes later, Bearss skated from the right circle to the left circle and ripped a wrister top shelf for a 3-0 lead.

"We came out fired up," Bearss said. "We were hoping to keep it going in the second and third period, but we got a little down."

It didn't help that Steamboat took six penalties, two game misconducts, in the third period to allow Kent back into the game.

The Sun Devils' Will Fehr pounced on a rebound midway through the third to make it 3-1. Then with 40 seconds to go, Brian Schoelzel blasted one from inside the blue line to make it 3-2.

The Sailors withstood a final flurry, and Erik Owen stopped 32 shots, including 17 in the final period.

Steamboat (10-1, 6-0 in the Foot­­hills Conference) next plays at 5 p.m. today at Battle Moun­­tain.

Go back to article