Steamboat hockey falls, 5-2, on road |

Steamboat hockey falls, 5-2, on road

Chris Freud/Vail Daily

Steamboat Springs’ goalie Joey Haight

Steamboat Springs' goalie Joey Haight, left, blocks Battle Mountain's Summers Baker from scoring a point Saturday at the Dobson Ice Arena in Vail. Battle Mountain won, 5-2.

— Happy Senior Night, Battle Mountain hockey.

The Huskies made it a good one with three third-period goals for a 5-2 win against Steamboat Springs on Saturday night at Vail's Dobson Ice Arena. The win bolstered Battle Mountain's quest to make the postseason, while handing the visiting Sailors their first loss in Foothills Conference play.

"I (play) them in soccer and hockey, so it's so sweet to win," said Huskies senior Jack Sunderland, who assisted on all three third-period goals. "It's my third win against them this year."

Saturday night's game came down to 5-on-3 situations in the third period.

Battle Mountain capitalized on its advantage with what would be the game-winner with 8:35 left, Sunderland to sophomore Bjorn Bredeson.

Recommended Stories For You

Meanwhile, Steamboat was on the two-man advantage for the final 3:03 of the game and could not find the back of the net.

"We've worked a lot on 5-on-3," said Sailors coach Jeff Ruff, who team fell to 10-2 overall and 6-1 in the Foothills. "(Battle Mountain) did a good job of clearing the pucks out. I think we rushed shots that we didn't need to take. It puts us in a position of allowing the D to clear the puck. But we've got to sink those."

While there was a cast of heroes for the Huskies in those final three minutes, blueliner Rudi Baldwin did a superb job of tying up the puck along the boards, and Huskies goalie Steve Parra was big in key moments.

"He's really beared down, gotten into his element," said Battle Mountain senior Jordan Goldstein, who had a big night of his own with a hat trick.

"Steve has claimed his spot as a senior, and I'm so proud of him because he's in there with confidence."

Steamboat's top line of Jake Bearss, Lance Ostrom and John Wharton did the job earlier, giving the visiting Sailors a 2-1 lead after one period. Ostrom scored on a nifty backhander to open the night and Bearss somehow snuck his shot through the near-side pads of Parra with 1:05 left in the first.

Go back to article