Steamboat child who fell in creek remains in critical condition |

Steamboat child who fell in creek remains in critical condition

Police identify child as 15-month-old Edwin Rodriguez

— The 15-month-old boy who was airlifted to Denver after falling into Butcherknife Creek on Saturday remained in critical condition Tuesday at The Children's Hospital.

Steamboat Springs Police Department Detective Nick Bosick identified the child as Edwin Rodriguez.

"He's still in critical condition, but he's still alive," Bosick said.

Bosick said it appeared the child wandered out of his home Saturday afternoon shortly after his father left for work at Big House Burgers. Bosick said the father shut the door to the home when leaving.

"Somehow the kid figured out how to open it, or maybe it didn't work that well," Bosick said.

The name of the father was not available Tuesday. When the father left the apartment, Edwin was left with his mother, Deyanira Herrera, and grandfather Humburto Luna.

Shortly before Edwin disappeared, his mother had changed his diaper.

"She thought he was with grandpa, and grandpa thought he was with mom," Bosick said.

After realizing Edwin was missing, the two went outside their apartment between Oak and Pine streets and between Sixth and Seventh streets next to the creek.

"They just assumed he must have fell in the creek," Bosick said.

The mother does not speak English, and someone helped her call 911, Bosick said.

"She just kept saying 'baby' and 'water,'" he said.

The grandfather went downstream looking for Edwin and pulled him out of the water behind the Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant about 400 feet from the family's home. From there, the creek goes underground below Lincoln Avenue before daylighting at the Ghost Ranch Saloon near the Yampa River.

Denton Turner lives near the creek and said he came out of his house when he heard the child's grandfather yelling. Turner said he started performing CPR on the child.

Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue emergency responders arrived and took Edwin to the hospital. Police then went to Big House Burgers to get the boy's father.

Restaurant owner Rex Brice said he had spoken to his employee.

"It sounds like they're doing OK, but it's hard to know for certain," Brice said.

Bosick said that he did not know what Edwin's injuries were and that his family was with him at the hospital.

"He didn't have oxygen to his brain for a while, and that was a big concern," Bosick said.

— To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email