Steamboat briefs: Medicare Part D open enrollment ends Dec. 7 |

Steamboat briefs: Medicare Part D open enrollment ends Dec. 7

Open enrollment for Medicare Part D runs through Dec. 7. Medicare beneficiaries are able to change plans during this time. Seniors should review their prescription drug plan and make sure it works with the prescriptions they are taking, said Betsy Packer, Routt County Council on Aging's counselor and coordinator for the Colorado State Health Insurance Assistance Program.

Routt County open enrollment times are as follows:

■ Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Colorado Mountain College Bristol Hall

■ Nov. 7: 5 to 7 p.m. at Hayden Public Library

■ Nov. 14: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CMC Bristol Hall

■ Nov. 28: 5 to 7 p.m. at Hayden Public Library

Recommended Stories For You

For more information, call 970-819-6937 or 1-888-696-7213.

Parks and Wildlife: Keep distance from wildlife

The Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife is reminding people to keep their distance from wild animals. Often, well-meaning people try to provide assistance to young animals that appear to be abandoned, according to a news release.

"We know most people mean well," Erin Serfoss, Parks and Wildlife customer service representative in Grand Junction, was quoted as saying. "But picking up a healthy, young animal and bringing it to us or a vet for help is often the worst thing they can do. In the majority of cases, the young animal is much better off left alone."

Handling most wildlife also is illegal. People attempting to rehabilitate animals without authorization from Colorado Parks and Wildlife face stiff fines. Additionally, wildlife can carry diseases, and handling it can lead to human illness or serious injuries from scratches and bites from sharp teeth and claws, according to the release.

"For their own safety, as well as the safety of the animal, people should not handle wildlife," Trina Romero, watchable wildlife coordinator for Parks and Wildlife, was quoted as saying. "If after careful observation, it appears that an animal does need human intervention, the best course of action is calling a wildlife officer."

Go back to article