Steamboat boys lacrosse rusty in home win |

Steamboat boys lacrosse rusty in home win

— The Steamboat Springs High School boys lacrosse team wasn't quite sharp Thursday, but it still managed to cut deep into Summit, winning at home 11-2.

The Sailors were effective offensively in the first quarter, scoring five goals, but were near stagnant after that with only a consistent defensive performance keeping the team on top of a big lead.

"We have a lot to work on," senior goalie Ben Custer said. "We're not to the standards I want to be at. Our team has bigger goals."

Several factors combined to slow the Sailors after that first quarter. Poor passes in front of the goal piled up, and missed shots plagued the Sailors.

Penalties stung Steamboat throughout the game, twice giving Summit a two-man advantage. The Tigers were able to capitalize on one of those.

"The first game after spring break is always the most difficult one you'll have," coach Bob Hiester said. "You haven't played for awhile. Your sticks aren't where they need to be. The anticipation isn't there. It's just herky-jerky, and we're glad to get the win."

Recommended Stories For You

On top of those inefficiencies, Summit goalie Garrett Tousey did everything he could to add to the frustration, scooping potential goals out of the air throughout the game.

It wasn't all about the break, but it certainly was an issue for Steamboat. The Sailors last played April 13, and that wasn't exactly a pretty affair as they lost 11-10 to a Valor Christian squad that overcame another big Steamboat first quarter for a huge rally.

Steamboat didn't allow another such charge, but its efficiency did go down as the game went on.

At their best Thursday, the Sailors defied the overall look of rustiness, playing well-oiled and powerfully. Thomas Tarcha scored on a pass from Ben Wharton to start the game. The pair then switched places moment later, Wharton slamming home a goal from a Tarcha pass.

Wharton went on to score four goals, two off rebounds in the first half.

Tyler Scott and Peter White also scored in the first quarter.

Steamboat, up 5-0 after one, scored a total of four goals in the next two quarters before getting two final scores in the fourth to ensure there would be no rally. Christian Ramirez scored his second goal early in fourth, and Mitch McCannon wrapped around a defender to rocket in a shot not long after, making the score 11-2.

"We got sloppy. We were trying to force the ball at times instead of working the ball, working our offense," Hiester said. "We did the same thing defensively. A lot of that was just not having played for a while.

"We just needed to get this first game over with. Now that it’s done, we can go back to working on things, and we'll be fine."

The win bumped Steamboat to 11-3 on the season. The team closes out its regular season schedule Saturday at home against Grand Junction.

To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253 or email

Go back to article