Speed glider crashes in Summit | SteamboatToday.com

Speed glider crashes in Summit

5 hikers assist in 8-hour-long rescue of Michigan man

Julie Sutor/Summit Daily News

A 40-year-old man from Michigan suffered injuries on Quandary Peak on Sunday afternoon after his parachute "lost wind," sending him crashing into rocks.

The man, identified only as Victor, was speed gliding — a hybrid of skiing and paragliding, popular in Europe, according to Summit County Rescue Group. The sport, also known as speed flying, speed riding and ski gliding, involves a small parachute attached to a skier, allowing the skier to lift off the ground intermittently, depending on wind speed and direction.

Victor and a fellow speed glider hiked to the 14,265-foot summit of Quandary Peak, south of Breckenridge, early Sunday afternoon. The two men intended to ski down the East Ridge, make a sharp turn to the left or right, and then glide to the bottom.

Five bystanders, who happened to be hiking Quandary that day, chatted with the two gliders at the summit.

"We were just kind of curious about what he was doing and why," said Len Shipman, 66, of Silverthorne, who was training for an upcoming ascent of Mount Washington.

The first man successfully sailed to the bottom of the mountain along its south side.

Recommended Stories For You

"Victor was waiting for wind, but it never seemed to be strong enough. Meanwhile, we started going down the mountain. A couple hundred yards from the summit, we turned to watch Victor. We were concerned, since we were the only ones on the summit, and we wanted to make sure he made it off OK," Shipman said.

At about 1:30 p.m., Shipman watched Victor take off from the summit, and he saw the descent quickly go awry.

"It just seemed like he lost the wind. When he came down, he caught a ski on a rock. Both skis came off, and he went tumbling into the rocks," Shipman said.

Complex rescue

Shipman called 911, and the five hikers stayed with the injured man while they waited for emergency responders.

"(We) stabilized him and tried to keep him warm, until search and rescue arrived. We tried to get him as comfortable as we could, giving him our extra clothing and hand warmers, communicating with him to keep his spirits up," Shipman said.

Search and Rescue estimated the temperature to be minus 5 degrees near the peak's summit during the evacuation. According to Shipman, the man suffered compound fractures in his lower leg.

Flight for Life's Lifeguard One helicopter, based in Denver, responded to the request for assistance and shuttled three rescuers and medical gear to a landing zone about 1,000 feet below the injured man. Vail Mountain Rescue and Alpine Rescue Team responded to aid requests, as well.

Teams of rescuers continued to bring the patient down in what ended up being a strenuous, 8-hour-long effort, using a combination of hand-carrying, sliding in a toboggan and belayed lowering systems. The patient reached a waiting ambulance from Summit County Ambulance Service at about 11:15 p.m.

Shipman checked in on Victor on Monday and said he was doing well.

Go back to article